• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss PIR Issues in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

K

kev sanderson

hi

im having an issue with a pir detector currently installed at home, it is on the top of a wall which is approx 5ft high, mounted on a bracket so it sits above the line of bricks by about 200mm,

i am getting a lot of nuisance switching, have replaced the sensor but still happening, i am wondering if it is too close to the top of the wall? not sure how this would affect it but im running out of thoughts of what the issue could be,

if this is the reason, i could overcome it by fixing a length of timber to the wall in order to move he sensor so its higher up

any thoughts are welcome,

thanks

hi

im having an issue with a pir detector currently installed at home, it is on the top of a wall which is approx 5ft high, mounted on a bracket so it sits above the line of bricks by about 200mm,

i am getting a lot of nuisance switching, have replaced the sensor but still happening, i am wondering if it is too close to the top of the wall? not sure how this would affect it but im running out of thoughts of what the issue could be,

if this is the reason, i could overcome it by fixing a length of timber to the wall in order to move he sensor so its higher up

any thoughts are welcome,

thanks
Probably all sorts of wildlife triggering the PIR

Hi - some sensors are, well, sensitive. And as Pete says, mine is set so the cat will trigger it as she slinks across the garden trying to sneak up on other little creatures :) . The sensitivity is usually adjustable on the back of the unit. To operate effectively it needs a clear view, but it doesn't need to be very high. Perhaps a bit over head height out of touch. I tend to tuck them under the eves so they've bit of protection from weather and stray light. Can I ask what type of sensor is it?

Have you tried masking the lense of the sensor? This sometimes works but sometimes it makes the sensor unreactive worth a try using a bit of tape.

As above. Some are sensitive to all sorts of things like

waving vegitation
reflected light (off a light-coloured wall eg)
heat extracts/boiler flues

all sorts

Reply to PIR Issues in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back