Discuss Plastic boards under stairs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

TJC1

-
Reaction score
Can anyone point me to reg that says about plastic boards under stairs or does one not exist

On an EICR and they have a plastic baord under the stairs.. C2 or C3?

421.1.201 deals with consumer units in domestic installations.
The regulation mentions nothing about location, however a risk assessment of the location of an existing plastic CU may lead the inspector to adding a code based on for instance , if it’s in a sole escape route or under a staircase where a fire could increase the risk of danger for escape or entry for say rescue.
Id personally never C2 any plastic CU based on material alone.

There is no reg stating anything like that - the usual convention is:
No signs of damage - no comment
No signs of damage and in an escape route or under a combustible escape route - C3
Signs of thermal damage - C2/FI/C1 depending upon the condition - usually C2

I’d personally always comment if the CU doesn’t comply with the current regulations in the additional notes section , however I would not code it on the grounds of being simply plastic and say located near a front door but there’s rear access to the property etc.

'CU in a domestic household premises is not metal or installed in a non-combustable cabinet, showing NO signs of thermal damage, located in the sole means of escape for a dwelling are'

Reg 421.1.201

C3

'CU in a domestic household premises is not metal or installed in a non-combustable cabinet, showing NO signs of thermal damage, located in the sole means of escape for a dwelling are'

Reg 421.1.201

C3
The regulation doesn’t say that, it mentions no location.
The location is commented on in the BPG 4 only which I think is what you have quoted?

The regulation doesn’t say that, it mentions no location.
The location is commented on in the BPG 4 only which I think is what you have quoted?
I quoted The Napit guide which lists the Reg they consider relevant. But, yes BPG also.

Either way a C3 for me under those specific circumstances

Personally (assuming that it's in good condition and I have no reason to believe that the plastic has failed to meet non-combustibility requirements of BS EN 60439-3/BS EN 61439-3) I always give a C3 observation, regardless of whether it's located within the sole escape route or not.

Reply to Plastic boards under stairs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net