Discuss Plastic water incomer- in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dave 85

Hi lads.
Doin a new build log holiday home. Water main is plastic into the cabin then goes Into a bit of surface copper round the tank then back to plastic for all hidden pipe work. Do I need a main bond?

No, it would be entirely pointless bonding this pipe.

Of course, you should still try to bond anything else relevant - including structure steel, etc

Put 100mm of copper into the incoming water supply and bond to that. I have heard an LABC inspector want that before... :lol:

Hi lads.
Doin a new build log holiday home. Water main is plastic into the cabin then goes Into a bit of surface copper round the tank then back to plastic for all hidden pipe work. Do I need a main bond?

main bond above main tap on the surface copper you mentioned

Had a similar conversation with the NICEIC. The outcome was that if the plastic pipe rises from the ground by at least a meter then it is highly unlikely to be a extraneous conductive part, so will not need bonding. You can always test it by measuring the insulation resistance from the MET to the nearest piece of copper to confirm. If it is above 250 Mega Ohms its not a extraneous conductive part.

Had a similar conversation with the NICEIC. The outcome was that if the plastic pipe rises from the ground by at least a meter then it is highly unlikely to be a extraneous conductive part, so will not need bonding. You can always test it by measuring the insulation resistance from the MET to the nearest piece of copper to confirm. If it is above 250 Mega Ohms its not a extraneous conductive part.

22k ohms I think. A lot of the circuits I have tested don't have 250M ohms between live and earth :)

personally, depending how far the bit of copper is from the main stop cock, if it were very close to it, i would earth it. Then a big tick can go on the test sheet. But that is purely down to my opinion rather than facts or regs about it.

How could that piece of copper introduce a potential into the installation?
As brman states, if an insulation resistance test between MET and the pipe in question reads greater than 22k Ohms then the part is not defined as an extraneous-conductive part and should not be bonded.

The 'if in doubt, bond it' brigade do not understand the principles behind bonding (they often refer to it as earthing) and the possible dangers of distributed fault voltages on non-extraneous conductive parts that have been bonded unnecessarily.

^^^^^^^^it can't. But on the SELECT test sheets we use at work, there is tick boxes for bonded at main water, gas and steel, so if it has a bit of copper reasonably close to where its meant to be bonded, i would bond it. It is a lot easier explaining to an inspector why it is there, rather than why it is not. It isn't doing any harm being there and if you were to get someone a#sy inspecting, it could make it a un needed headache. But as i said above, that is purely my opinion, and not based on regs/fact etc.

question that will obviously annoy you (really not intended!!) why the reference to bonding and earthing? is the point of both not to get to the same potential as earth? please be gentle...i'm only wee...

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Plastic water incomer- in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net