Discuss Plate Switch inside a bathroom! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Goody

-
Reaction score
Hi,

I have just come across a Plate Switch mounted on the wall inside a bathroom to operate the ceiling light. Is there any alternative fitting to replace it (to conform with the reg) without resorting to installing a pull-cord switch? Any feedback will be much appreciated. Thanks!

plate_switch.jpg

Hi,

I have just come across a Plate Switch mounted on the wall inside a bathroom to operate the ceiling light. Is there any alternative fitting to replace it (to conform with the reg) without resorting to installing a pull-cord switch? Any feedback will be much appreciated. Thanks!

View attachment 11988

God you work late lol, pop a hole through the wall put outside the room

permitted item outside of zones

tin hat on
I agree - it doesn't necessarily have to be a pull switch just because it's a bathroom.
I suppose the alternative is some kind of SELV operated relay or suitably IP rated switch, although that might look a bit odd.

True, but what if someone touches it with water dripping from their fingers?
That might teach them how to use a towel.
Seriously though you could say that about almost anywhere - you should have a pull switch in the bedroom in case someone goes from the bathroom to get dressed in the bedroom, pull switches in the kitchen for when you're doing the washing up etc.
You'd end up with so many pull switches it'd be like living under a barrage balloon.

If you can fit sockets in a bathroom, as long as they are 3 mts from the bath/shower, what's the problem with plate switches outside of zones?
I don't think the extra 2.4 mts will allow your fingers to dry while you walk it.

lets think about it
i have just had a bath smell good and slightly wet
i use switch in bathroom or 12 inches later on outside wall
whats the difference

I agree that REG only stipulates use of electrical equipment in the right zone but my concern was someone getting a shock with wet fingers, should the switch developed a fault at some point.

The regs for special locations to prevent spray of water getting in them.

Do you fit pull cords by the front door because they may come in when it is raining?

I agree that REG only stipulates use of electrical equipment in the right zone but my concern was someone getting a shock with wet fingers, should the switch developed a fault at some point.

Even toilets in schools use standard rocker switches, more often than not with no RCD protection. The bathroom/shower room regs are due to the chance of touching something with lower resistance of your body after immersion, not to guard against wet fingers. As previously said, you could exit the bathroom and switch a light on a few feet away, or come in out of the rain dripping wet and switch a hall light on.
Outside of zones you can put whatever switch YOU, as the professional, deem suitable.
Hope this clears it up.

This always gives me a chuckle!! I don't think there is another country (none that i've been too anyway) that has such draconian regulations when it comes to bathrooms. Socket outlets and plate switches have been allowed in these countries from time in memoriam. But it seems UK is different, install either of these accessories in a bathroom and your bound to get a good belt or Die!!!

This always gives me a chuckle!! I don't think there is another country (none that i've been too anyway) that has such draconian regulations when it comes to bathrooms. Socket outlets and plate switches have been allowed in these countries from time in memoriam. But it seems UK is different, install either of these accessories in a bathroom and your bound to get a good belt or Die!!!

That's because, we, the British Public, are complete morons, who should not, under any circumstances, be allowed to take any personal responsibility for our own safety or of those around us.

So, we happily pay our esteemed Government £Billions to fill our lives with rules & regulations, and the accompanying Officials to enforce them, in order to protect us from our own stupidity; unless of course there's money to made out of it (tobacco & alcohol).

That's because, we, the British Public, are complete morons, who should not, under any circumstances, be allowed to take any personal responsibility for our own safety or of those around us.

So, we happily pay our esteemed Government £Billions to fill our lives with rules & regulations, and the accompanying Officials to enforce them, in order to protect us from our own stupidity; unless of course there's money to made out of it (tobacco & alcohol).

Never a truer word spoken....

government would legalise heroin and cocaine if they could tax it.

come to think about it, would be as good idea. cut drug crime and get the country out of debt. 2 birds with 1 stone.

Last edited:

Reply to Plate Switch inside a bathroom! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net