Discuss Please help! Boiler ch pump always on! in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

LeeD

Hi

ive recently moved into a new home with a combi boiler witch has underfloor heating downstairs and rads upstairs
The ch pump on the boiler seems to be always on and cannot seem to turn it off even when the programmer is set to off for the upstairs heating and the controls for the ufh are off too!
any ideas would be much appreciated as this is crazing me!
In the programmer terminals there is no cable to the ch off and htw off terminals, should this be?? is it wired wrong?

please help!

Many thanks

does this help?

ST9400A-%2526-ST9400C-Installer-Guide.pdf

Thanks but not really, even when I turn the heating switch on the boiler to off it still has the ch pump light on and still fires up. The stats for ufh are all turned down and there is no heat coming from the floor.

We need a bit more info here before we can offer advice.

Is it a new system in a new house, does it really 'always' run i.e 24/7 or does it just overrun for a couple of hours, what make of boiler do you have??

Grant vortex combi 21e
house 4 years old so yeah newish
not 24/7 but on off on off etc
I'm gna run out of oil at this rate! :(
And the rads upstairs are always on, I'm gna change the thermostat but that still wouldn't explain why I can't turn heating off at boiler or why?

You have either have a faulty zone valve Allowing the permanent live down the auxiliary. Or you have a permanent live in the wrong place. You don't need dhw and ch off to be wired.

Thanks but not really, even when I turn the heating switch on the boiler to off it still has the ch pump light on and still fires up. The stats for ufh are all turned down and there is no heat coming from the floor.
so, is the pump just pumping cold water round, and not firing the boiler? if so, then it's not using fuel, is it?

When you say a new home do you mean a new home for you or a brand new built home?

If it is the later I would not be playing with it but get the builder on to it as it should be under his warranty period.

What cables do you have in the programmer. Where do they go? (Joint in airing cupboard most likely). Are you an electrician of any sort?

If it is firing the boiler too , and it is only the utility room that is hot, do you have a hidden frost stat somewhere set wrong?

What cables do you have in the programmer. Where do they go? (Joint in airing cupboard most likely). Are you an electrician of any sort?

From the fuse spur it goes into a connector block, from here you have a link for the programmer live, you have the underfloor heating feed and a black labelled 1 to the boiler. In the second connector block there is a grey to the underfloor heating and black labelled 6 to the boiler. In the third connector block black labelled 5 to the boiler and a grey from a 3 core +cpc labelled SBJ. Neutrals all linked in a block too and lastly one twin and earth dead ended in there.

Im an electrician but always worked on streetlighting contracts as a cable jointer so this is not my forte!

There isn't an airing cupboard as it's a combi. Could it possibly be a faulty stat upstairs?

Reply to Please help! Boiler ch pump always on! in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net