Discuss Please tell me i'm not going mental and he's talking gibberish? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This guy is trying to say that when the fuse is pulled, the supply to the fuse is still live and therefore it's dangerous.
Unless isolated, the live supply to a fuse will always be live, whether the fuse is pulled or not.
He's saying that the wiring is incorrect.

You're not going mental but he's right that it's incorrectly configured.
I see that the isolator isn't going to isolate the fuse but he keeps claiming in the comments that it's dangerous because the supply comes in the top of the fuse, and therefore when the fuse is pulled it will still be live. He insinuates that should you wire the bottom of the fuse, it will be isolated when the fuse is pulled.

He explains it all wrong, but it is wired incorrectly. It helps to think of it as a consumer unit with only one outgoing circuit, then the problem becomes obvious. The isolator doesn't isolate the fuse carrier, so it remains live, a problem if you intended to remove the fuse carrier for any reason.

It doesn't matter that the fuse carrier is wired supply to the top as some comments suggest, only that it should be wired downstream of the isolator.

I'm not sure if you can touch the top of the fuse carrier with the fuse remove, in those hager switched fuses, which in this case would be live. Where as the bottom of the fuse holded is not accessible. And that's why the live in should be in the bottom terminals

It's just a case of taking the supply to the fuse VIA the switch. Hence being able to isolate the fuse carrier unit before removal or input of the fuse.

Last edited:
I see that the isolator isn't going to isolate the fuse but he keeps claiming in the comments that it's dangerous because the supply comes in the top of the fuse, and therefore when the fuse is pulled it will still be live. He insinuates that should you wire the bottom of the fuse, it will be isolated when the fuse is pulled.

Without knowing the exact details of the fuseholder its impossible to say but some of them may leave the fuse in contact with one terminal when they are opened.

Without knowing the exact details of the fuseholder its impossible to say but some of them may leave the fuse in contact with one terminal when they are opened.

I'd been wondering if that was the case, but imagined they'd be designed to move the fuse clear of lower terminal when open. I guess it's best to never assume.

I'm not sure if you can touch the top of the fuse carrier with the fuse remove, in those hager switched fuses, which in this case would be live. Where as the bottom of the fuse holded is not accessible. And that's why the live in should be in the bottom terminals
In the comments of the video, 'someone' put the question to Hager, who replied that it was okay to wire these fuse holders either end.

I'd been wondering if that was the case, but imagined they'd be designed to move the fuse clear of lower terminal when open. I guess it's best to never assume.
Assumption is the mother of all major foul-ups!

Certainly some of the DIN fuse carriers I have used have the fuse isolated at both ends when fully opened and usually I feed them from the top in this case so they are disconnected when partly open. For obvious reasons I have not investigated what appendages I could possibly insert and maybe make contact with live parts...

Maybe off-topic, but one reason I like the Schneider "Quadbreak" style of fused-switch is they very clearly isolate both ends when off, so you can feed live to either top or bottom and still safely change the fuse. Or have both ends live-ish if ones is to a leaky UPS or similar.

#THISISWHYYOUDONTLETTHEBUILDERSDOWIRING

(I wonder if all those switched fused isolators I wired up wrongun)

To be fair I fitted a Lewden one the other day that had been rolling round the van for a while, I stripped it all down to fit the armoured and fasten it to the wall and then re-fitted the switch and fuse carrier and wired it all up. when I put the lid on the big red sticker saying MAIN SWITCH was under the fuse. Who in their right mind makes a unit with the main switch on the left (apart from MK who I avoid for this reason). All other Lewden stuff has the main switch on the right.

I swapped the labels round as there was no way it was coming off the wall again.

Reply to Please tell me i'm not going mental and he's talking gibberish? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net