Search the forum,

Discuss Plenty of jobs out there? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

mates put up light fittings, make off sockets, put up trunking, yada yada yada. Stuff you can learn in 5 mins flat. The stuff no one is gonna pay more that £10 an hour for. Simple stuff. Simples. The big sites are made up of mates. It's a good start for someone to understand how electrical installations work. From there you learn about distribution, switching, organisation, deliveries, hierarchy, everything.

that is true , im not saying your wrong on it , but the bare minimum they want you to have is at least to be on the course

like the time that one of the workmates at this place we were at got a job in the effluent plant they had at the pack of the factory......so we goes out to wakefield on a friday night...and he`s tellin this bird that he`s a forensic scientist with a ferrari....

like the time that one of the workmates at this place we were at got a job in the effluent plant they had at the pack of the factory......so we goes out to wakefield on a friday night...and he`s tellin this bird that he`s a forensic scientist with a ferrari....

I told the bloke who gave me the start in electrical that i could more or less rewire a house. he still take the **** out of me to this day

surely an electricians mate is all about pulling cable/s in...go get this....fetch us that....support this while i fix it etc etc...general mule......and at the end of it you might....just might get to terminate/make off.....and basic stuff like that......if you are at college on day release..whatever...then you aint a `mate`...more an apprentice....`mates` are just donkeys to fetch n carry.....

NO. the only difference is that an improver or apprentice has hi sight on higher academic goals.

I've worked with 'mates' who are doing a sparks job, day in, day out. They are flippin good, but they are never gonna do college. They started out at the bottom and learned it as thy went along. There is no economic space for people to fetch and carry. On all the jobs I've been on, everyone fetches and carries on deliveries, and loading out.

'Mates' are the butter on the sandwich. Essential to make everything go smoothly, and worth every penny.

You can't run successful jobs, with all sparks thinking 'I ain't doing that (never been on one yet) and all apprentices with their tongues up sparks bumholes.

that is true , im not saying your wrong on it , but the bare minimum they want you to have is at least to be on the course

NO. You are totally missing the point. THE WHOLE POINT OF A GOOD MATE IS THAT YOU HAVEN'T BEEN ON AN EFFING COURSE, AND NEVER WILL BE. THAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MATE AND IMPROVER.

UNDERSTAND THIS PLEASE FOR GODS SAKE MAN.

NO. the only difference is that an improver or apprentice has hi sight on higher academic goals.

I've worked with 'mates' who are doing a sparks job, day in, day out. They are flippin good, but they are never gonna do college. They started out at the bottom and learned it as thy went along. There is no economic space for people to fetch and carry. On all the jobs I've been on, everyone fetches and carries on deliveries, and loading out.

'Mates' are the butter on the sandwich. Essential to make everything go smoothly, and worth every penny.

You can't run successful jobs, with all sparks thinking 'I ain't doing that (never been on one yet) and all apprentices with their tongues up sparks bumholes.
perish the thought....

they learned it practically

do they know all the risks , the cable calcs, the regs

they will only know what people have told them on site , and how often do you spend the whole day talking about electrics to the person you work.

surely an electricians mate is all about pulling cable/s in...go get this....fetch us that....support this while i fix it etc etc...general mule......and at the end of it you might....just might get to terminate/make off.....and basic stuff like that......if you are at college on day release..whatever...then you aint a `mate`...more an apprentice....`mates` are just donkeys to fetch n carry.....

Surely you are contradicting yourself here Glen. In one statement you are saying that 'mates' are fetch and carry merchants, and in another that they are installing cables (the backbone of any electrical installation) and second fixing?

Hear this one and all, and hear it now.

ELECTRICAL MATES, LABOURERS, IMPROVERS WHATEVER YOU WANT TO CALL THEM, ARE IN DEMAND, ALWAYS WILL BE.

BECAUSE BIG JOBS DON'T NEED PEOPLE TO KNOW CABLE CALCS, AC THEORY, OR ANY OF THE OFFICE STUFF.

THEY JUST NEED CHEAP(ISH) RELIABLE LABOUR TO INSTALL TO A REASONABLE STANDARD.

THIS DIVISION OF LABOUR INTO MATE/ IMPROVER/ LABOURER IS NONSENSE. YOU EITHER HAVE A GOLD CARD OR YOU DON'T.

THE PEOPLE EMPLOYING EITHER WANT CARD CARRYING SPARKS OR THEY WANT 'MATES' ( USED TO DESCRIBE UNQUALIFIED OR PARTLY QUALIFIED LABOUR)

THERE IS NO OTHER DISTINCTION.

Last edited:
Glen spark is an improver, however much he likes to come on here with his name in red bigging it up like a spark. Hes got a few steps yet till his gold card innit glen!

I dont know why you need to capitalize your messages as well as if putting them in caps is going to articulate your meaning any better.

Last edited by a moderator:
op, look into maintenance electrician, i have to do industrial electrical installation, but its usually a punishment for being bad, motors,controls,networks,plcs,projects where you do everything from design to install, and not much bitchin'....:hurray:

op, look into maintenance electrician, i have to do industrial electrical installation, but its usually a punishment for being bad, motors,controls,networks,plcs,projects where you do everything from design to install, and not much bitchin'....:hurray:

thats what im sort of doing at the moment , a bit of building managment , it is really good money , im not even qualified and am on 110 a day (although he never pays on time) most of the jobs i get are to change lightbulbs and replace fittings, a lot of driving though ,all over england

Reply to Plenty of jobs out there? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock