Discuss Plenty of jobs out there? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I first got on site with nothing! Didn't need a card (never heard of one) 5 years ago. I appreciate things have changed, but what card are you gonna get as a 'mate'? We've got guys posting on here that are time served sparks but only get an improver or adult trainee grade from the JIB without the NVQ 3.

you just havent, i have never come across anyone apart from labourers on site to just have the cscs card, i am nearly qualified , i have an ipaf, an ecs card , am booked in to do 17th regs in a month, about to sit my am2 and have nearly 3 years experience and i can just about get a job on site lol

Because it's a buyers market mate. They want people who have been there and done it so unless you have experience or you know someone who can ease your passage (Fnarr fnarr) you have no chance with just a CSCS

I disagree. That's my prerogative. There's agencies that will get you in. It's up to you to prove yourself once you're there.

im not saying that it is impossible, most people get into construction as a labourer but with specialized trades like plumbing electrical, air con, its all about being on the course first and understanding a bit

I disagree. That's my prerogative. There's agencies that will get you in. It's up to you to prove yourself once you're there.
Voltz I kind of agree with your general point but put yourself in the position of an employer or even an agency. You have two guys up for a mates job, one has no experience but has a CSCS card. The other has the same card + a few years experience.
Which one gets the gig?

experience, abit of luck and to be at college

If you're at college, you're an improver. Companies want decent labour.

THEY DON'T REWARD QUALIFICATIONS!!

WHY DO YOU THINK THE IMPROVER WHO FINALLY GETS HIS QUALIFICATIONS WON'T GET A PAYRISE???? HE'S ALREADY DOING THE JOB, SO WHY PAY HIM MORE?

I AM SPEAKING FROM EXPERIENCE AND THE EXPERIENCE OF MY PEERS.

ALL THEY CARE ABOUT IS THE JOB GETTING DONE AS CHAPLY AS POSSIBLE, HENCE EMPLOYING AN ARMY OF MATES NOT SPARKS.

I SPEAK THE TRUTH

Voltz I kind of agree with your general point but put yourself in the position of an employer or even an agency. You have two guys up for a mates job, one has no experience but has a CSCS card. The other has the same card + a few years experience.
Which one gets the gig?

WITH RESPECT, I agree, but this is a separate issue about competition for jobs. Some here are stating that you can't get on site with only a CSCS card.

YOU CAN.

If you're at college, you're an improver. Companies want decent labour.

THEY DON'T REWARD QUALIFICATIONS!!

WHY DO YOU THINK THE IMPROVER WHO FINALLY GETS HIS QUALIFICATIONS WON'T GET A PAYRISE???? HE'S ALREADY DOING THE JOB, SO WHY PAY HIM MORE?

I AM SPEAKING FROM EXPERIENCE AND THE EXPERIENCE OF MY PEERS.

ALL THEY CARE ABOUT IS THE JOB GETTING DONE AS CHAPLY AS POSSIBLE, HENCE EMPLOYING AN ARMY OF MATES NOT SPARKS.

I SPEAK THE TRUTH

if you go to college your an improver, when your qualified from college your an electrician,

so when do you become a "mate"

ive seen jobs on jobcentre asking for electricians mates and they get paid more than improvers

the only time i see loads of mates on site, is when a load of containment needs to go in

Last edited by a moderator:
if you go to college your an improver, when your qualified from college your an electrician,

so when do you become a "mate"

From the start!!!

What are you 'WELLSHOCKED'?

Mates fetch cable, bend tube, pass screwdrivers, are the extra pair of hands you need on a double handed job. You get to see it, do it, learn it. Mates haven;t been to college, and are vital to the industry.

surely an electricians mate is all about pulling cable/s in...go get this....fetch us that....support this while i fix it etc etc...general mule......and at the end of it you might....just might get to terminate/make off.....and basic stuff like that......if you are at college on day release..whatever...then you aint a `mate`...more an apprentice....`mates` are just donkeys to fetch n carry.....

mates put up light fittings, make off sockets, put up trunking, yada yada yada. Stuff you can learn in 5 mins flat. The stuff no one is gonna pay more that £10 an hour for. Simple stuff. Simples. The big sites are made up of mates. It's a good start for someone to understand how electrical installations work. From there you learn about distribution, switching, organisation, deliveries, hierarchy, everything.

Reply to Plenty of jobs out there? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net