Discuss Plumbers playing with electrics in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Came across this the other day, was asked by a friend to have a look at a shower which was tripping.
they had a new replacement shower fitted recently the plumber disconnected the old shower and reconnected the new one.
I found neutral and earth cross connected at the shower unit. So no tests can of been done before reconnecting the cable to the new shower.
It was also a 8.7-9.3kw shower feed with a 6mm cable the cable was run in the loft so was only rated at about 34 amps on 40amp breaker.
Why can’t plumbers stick to plumbing and not fiddle with electrics!!!

Came across this the other day, was asked by a friend to have a look at a shower which was tripping.
they had a new replacement shower fitted recently the plumber disconnected the old shower and reconnected the new one.
I found neutral and earth cross connected at the shower unit. So no tests can of been done before reconnecting the cable to the new shower.
It was also a 8.7-9.3kw shower feed with a 6mm cable the cable was run in the loft so was only rated at about 34 amps on 40amp breaker.
Why can’t plumbers stick to plumbing and not fiddle with electrics!!!
Had very similar last week, added a second shower for a custoner, one of those with hot and cold feed and motor built in. They'd had an existing one in another room since 2006 plumbed and wired by a water clown. I found the circuit not on RCD so moved it before extending the circuit for the new one. Tested at my shower all good. Get a call an hour later, the existing one was now tripping RCD. Popped the front of it off to find N and CPC reversed! Been like it 15 years ?

Wet pants love doing a bit of electrics , especially showers and hot tubs

come across plenty of showers with no rcd and some with the cpc cut off at both ends

Imagine the slating we would get if we changed a bit of pipe work and it was dripping a bit….

I bet they spend hours on the plumbing forum complaining about sparks doing the water half of a shower.

?

Imagine the slating we would get if we changed a bit of pipe work and it was dripping a bit….

I bet they spend hours on the plumbing forum complaining about sparks doing the water half of a shower.

?
yes,but a bodged water pipe joint does not kill people. a bodged electrical joint might.

Twice now, not once but twice, I've had a problem where waster was dripping through the ceiling of our rental flat. On both occasions the guy upstairs got his so called "plumber" out who declared that there was no leak. On both occasions I went up and found the leak for him.
And the cheeky b'stard called me on the second occasion to ask if he could make a hole in our bathroom ceiling to stick his borescope through. Yes I said, just a small on, say 1" max. So he hacked out about a foot square, pulled the fan off and left it dangling on it's wire with no cover, pulled some of the extractor ducting apart and declared the water was coming in from that - despite the lack of any water inside the ducting, and the very wet concrete above it. Apparently it's magic water that flow uphill ?

It was when electric showers first became popular that I made my first tentative steps into plumbing. As a sparky, I didn't see any reason to share the profits with a plumber for a single 15mm pipe from the mains riser.
First shower I fitted, (Newlec 6kW) I had this 17 year old girl hanging around all the time and generally getting in the way.
45 years later, she's still hanging around, sitting on a couch across the room.

It was when electric showers first became popular that I made my first tentative steps into plumbing. As a sparky, I didn't see any reason to share the profits with a plumber for a single 15mm pipe from the mains riser.
First shower I fitted, (Newlec 6kW) I had this 17 year old girl hanging around all the time and generally getting in the way.
but does the shower still work with no leaks?

That's good customer service ??

but does the shower still work with no leaks?
The now 62 year old girl still mostly works, and with few leaks, but the shower had to be replaced when it failed several years later. It was a strange device, consisting of a large clear Perspex block with several plugged holes drilled through it, to form a channel for the water to flow through. Inside these drilled holes was also a bare, coiled heating wire, in direct contact with the water. Earthed copper pipe at each end of the block.

Reply to Plumbers playing with electrics in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net