Discuss Plumbing Question - Shower not hot in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Anyway like I said I feel I've been put on the right track - for some reason the water entering the pump isn't very hot, unless I use the Immersion. I think I'll measure the temp(i.need a thermometer) and just go to the company that fitted and say look this is the temp here's what I found, fix it.
Have you tried turning your tank stat and boiler temp up ?
The tap hot water temperature is going to be the same as the immersion tank

I have in the past cured a very strange temperature difference by turning on all the taps in the bathroom, seems that if I have been working on the plumbing I sometimes get an air lock and this cures it, have you tried running the shower without the thermostat in place for a while and then carefully testing the water temperature?

Have you tried turning your tank stat and boiler temp up ?
The tap hot water temperature is going to be the same as the immersion tank
He has hot water at the taps, it's just not hot at the shower pump.

That gives me a thought (lonely I know) is there a temperature compensator fitted on the flow to the shower, one that mix's hot and cold water? something like this: Water Valve Control Pipe Replace Supplies Tap Temperature Thermostatic | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285144708639?

The only thermostatic mixer is going to be in the shower mixer bar
He could just fit a mixer that’s not temperature controlled

The only thermostatic mixer is going to be in the shower mixer bar
He could just fit a mixer that’s not temperature controlled
Not now days with the mains pressure hot water system being fitted in most new builds, the thermostatic temperature mixer is almost mandatory.

Not now days with the mains pressure hot water system being fitted in most new builds, the thermostatic temperature mixer is almost mandatory.
He hasn’t got mains pressure on the hot side it’s header tank fed (vented) hence the need for a shower pump.

I sometimes get an air lock and this cures it,
The only place there could be an airlock is before the pump. The pressure after it would overcome any thing like that.
Is the length of pipe that includes the gate valve running downwards slightly as it goes away from the cylinder, or at least horizontal?
A surrey flange has a small hole internally between the top of the shower dip tube and the rest of the hot water/vent outlet. A blockage of this hole is likely to cause airlock problems.
TMV is mandatory on the supply to a bath. Water from a bath tap must not exceed 48 degrees, which must waste loads of water, since you can't just top up the temperature of your bath with a bit of 65 degree water. You now have to partly empty the bath and top up with loads of 48 degree water.

Have we determined what sort of boiler he has ?

Is the ball cock in the immersion header tank defiantly getting a drop when using a hot tap ?
Does the boiler start when using the hot taps ?

I see he's got an indirect immersion tank.

We need to know what boiler this is, does it also run central heating ?

The op said it started happening with the boiler change and that the taps are always hot. Combi ?
The tap hot feed could be direct off the boiler and the shower left on the immersion.
The indirect heating of the tank could be down to low hence when electric immersion is used it's fine.

Last edited:
I've just read all 12 pages, the biggest clue to date seems to be that the immersion heater is capable of producing hot shower water and the boiler is not. The pump sounds as though it is functioning.
Yet the water from the tap is a decent temperature when the immersion is not used.

As this is a very strange set of circumstances it's making me wonder if the tap hot water is actually coming from the cylinder.
Could it have it's own under-sink heater?!
Or could something very special have happened, such as the boiler being changed to a combi, the tap being supplied by hot water on demand from the boiler, the cylinder coil ended up connected to the heating flow/return, and the shower being the only thing fed from the cylinder. I realise that is exceptionally unlikely, but so far something like that is the only thing that seems to fit all the reported test results.

If the OP can run the basin tap (as suggested before I think) and confirm the header tank for the cylinder starts to fill up?
Have we had a picture of the boiler yet?

It could be just a matter of turning the boiler temperature for heating up, which is why the indirect coil temperature is low ?

By turning the stat on the tank he should hear a click and the boiler fire up ?

It looks like this is NOT a combi boiler op stated it's a GREENSTAR FS 30CDi & FS 42CDi Regular

Ensuring that the heating temperature on the boiler is at max is the next step.

Last edited:

Reply to Plumbing Question - Shower not hot in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net