Discuss Plumbing Question - Shower not hot in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Its a temp controller for underfloor heating systems. But can still be used
Thanks again for talking me through - Again I do feel this might have happened since the new boiler but I could be way off.

Is this what you want?

View attachment 107969

and do you know what this is> it's in a cupboard near the shower room?

View attachment 107970

If you want higher def pictures let me know.
temp control unit designed for underfloor systems .But its fine

ill have a feel of those flexi pipes and see if they get hot?

I think that pump was fitted/replaced when the boiler was. So if the pump comes on with the shower and not the tap - the shower is fed from a different source?

Last edited:
The feed for the shower hot does come from a special fitting that draws the water from slightly down the cylinder, and that is most definitely a shower pump on the end of the pipe that feeds from it.
Follow the flex from the pump to where it connects to a FCU, and see if it is switched on.
Also, check that the gate valve with the red wheel handle, near the top of the cylinder is fully turned on.

Last edited:
The feed for the shower hot does come from a special fitting that draws the water from slightly down the cylinder, and that is most definitely a shower pump on the end of the pipe that feeds from it.
Follow the flex from the pump to where it connects to a FCU, and see if it is switched on.
Also, check that the gate valve with the red wheel handle, near the top of the cylinder is fully turned on.
Hi yes the pump comes on with the shower. I posted a video above but it's probably not showing :(

With the shower running the two flexi pipes at the front of the pump are warm but not hot
4.png

The gate valve is open full - I closed it to see what would happen and it was still slightly warm? maybe cos the pipes were warm.

So I'm guessing something is not right with the feed to the pump. But cant understand why the tap is hot because it's from the same tank.

The immersion heater would normally be switched off. It's only there to a) block up the big hole in the cylinder, and b) as an emergency backup if the boiler is out of order.
The problem with the shower is definitely the non working of the shower pump. Everything that has been discussed before is now irrelevant.
Do you have a non contact voltage detector (Volt Stick)? If so, wave it around the pump cable to see if it is live.

The immersion heater would normally be switched off. It's only there to a) block up the big hole in the cylinder, and b) as an emergency backup if the boiler is out of order.
The problem with the shower is definitely the non working of the shower pump. Everything that has been discussed before is now irrelevant.
Do you have a non contact voltage detector (Volt Stick)? If so, wave it around the pump cable to see if it is live.
The OP said that the pump comes on with the shower #66

Ah, so that's what that short video was about. Doesn't come over very well on a laptop without sound. Listened to it on my phone now, and it doesn't sound very happy, but having been asked many times to diagnose car faults from videos, I know that's the norm.
The black connectors at the top of the pump flexible pipes often have quarter turn isolator valves built into them. If they are present, are they all fully on?
I've also come across pumps where there are little mesh filters built into the rubber washers between the nuts at the bottom of the flexible pipes and the pump.
All comments about the shower valve having a to high minimum pressure requirement are now invalid. Something's blocking the hot water flow.

Reply to Plumbing Question - Shower not hot in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net