Discuss Poll - Is BS7671 updated to frequently - you can vote in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Octopus

Please keep this on track and comments sensible.

I think that the IET et al are really taking the pxss with all the updates of BS7671 - the BYB due out in January, has hardly got life threatening changes so why update it now.

So please place your vote....

I put every three years, technology is changing fast these days due to new electronic equipment and I believe BMS type systems will be implemented in new housing within the next 10 years, once that happens everyone will need to be up to date with new regs, there will be computer hubs in cupboards or under stair cases and you will be able to switch on the tv or lights at home from your remote control and mobile phone, it has already sort of started, once the cost comes down wiring in new houses as we know it will change forever, JMO. The supplies to equipment will probably change to take this into account, also technology with machinery is changing all the time, as kit changes, regs change.

Contrary view, bite the bullet, stop $issing about with amendments and re-publish annually, the document being free to download by registered electricians. Obviously the changes being contained in a separate doc so easy to keep an eye on changes.

I've put update every 7 years, but by that I mean republish.

For updates, maybe at a predetermined time each year as long as between publications they are made available as free downloads.

I voted for 5, ...................in line with what should be an apprenticeship.

It's just the outlay. Ammend yearly if free...but why should we pay?

What I resent is not the frequency of updates, but rather that the publications are so expensive. As well as the regs and OSG, I also have several of the guidance notes, all of which will need to be replaced (if I want to keep latest versions). These publications should all be available at minimal cost, especially on-line versions - I don't believe IET should be using these as a revenue stream.

And secondly, when the regs and OSG are published, from past experience, the guidance notes will be months (even years?) behind in being updated. Why can't the whole set be available together?

If the technology in the industry is changing then the technology of the regs books should change buy one down loaded book that we can all read on our laptops tablets phones etc for a reasonably price say £25 and then all we need to do is buy the update as an when , and why do they have to keep changing the reg number format each time ?

Please keep this on track and comments sensible.

I think that the IET et al are really taking the pxss with all the updates of BS7671 - the BYB due out in January, has hardly got life threatening changes so why update it now.

So please place your vote....

They have to justify their existence,thats why...if they dont do anything they are out of a job.

The IET have set a precedence, and the regs will be updated every 3 years. The next edition/version or whatever they come up with will be introduced in 2018. Guess who is behind it all.......no surprise, its the NICEIC. They may not write the regs, but they tell the IET what to put in it.

Cheers..............Howard

What's annoying about there updates isn't the parts about new technology but the bits that have been in it for years that they mustn't have got right in the 1st place. I'm gonna go with 5 years.

When ever i picture these dudes,deciding on the type and frequency of changes to the latest edition...i always get a mental image of the "commitee" in "Life of Brian",discussing his rescue off the cross.....the rights and practicalities of such updates is ALWAYS going to be over-shadowed by the fact that income streams are linked directly to those decisions. I cannot understand why these updates are available,changed or not,electronically. Most data regarding plant and equipment is issued and absorbed in this manner,at most dealerships working on them. That view comes from a man who collects books,antique and otherwise,the Magna-Carta,not being on a disc...:icon12:

I put every three years, technology is changing fast these days due to new electronic equipment and I believe BMS type systems will be implemented in new housing within the next 10 years, once that happens everyone will need to be up to date with new regs, there will be computer hubs in cupboards or under stair cases and you will be able to switch on the tv or lights at home from your remote control and mobile phone, it has already sort of started, once the cost comes down wiring in new houses as we know it will change forever, JMO. The supplies to equipment will probably change to take this into account, also technology with machinery is changing all the time, as kit changes, regs change.
I think every 5 years for a new book with free updates in between.

Technology is changing fast in the domestic sector, but it has largely been in place in the commercial/industrial sectors for many years as far as BMS and Ethernet is concerned.

The regs don't specifically mention this technology, but leave us to interpret a "one size fits all" set of rules depending on where we are working. It's better than a book for each type of installation!

We've not had to buy a new book since 2008, but it's annoying knowing that the 18th edition is probably not too far away - even though its probably another four years yet.

Iv'e gone for seven , but thats for an edition change . All amendments should be free to download during the lifetime of the edition.

I would go for the option, 'as and when required'.
There is a download able version with Imbelieve free updates for amendments, though it is a trifle too expensive for my taste.the GNs and the OSG are written by the IET which is why they come out after the Regs.
The Committee is made up of people from throughout the industry, not all are members or employed by the IET. So it's not really the IET pushing the changes
The NICEIC and the ESC have seats on the comitee as do some of the other schemes.
The changes to the numbering system was due to align it with the IEC numbering system.
Regs that end in 100 are IEC Regs, those that end in 200 are British Regs.
Some of the changes are an attempt to clarify requirements or In one case to rectify an error.

What's annoying about there updates isn't the parts about new technology but the bits that have been in it for years that they mustn't have got right in the 1st place. QUOTE]

I totally agree with that. Change for changes sake. Makes them look stupid. Also annoying things, like taking out BS1361 time/current characteristics in the BGB when it is something we all use. They will probably put it back in the next one and justify it as an addition.

Last edited:

Reply to Poll - Is BS7671 updated to frequently - you can vote in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net