Discuss Preferred GU10 fitting? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Mjward

DIY
Reaction score
Been a while (2011) since I last added some GU10 downlight fittings.

What are the good/reliable brands people are using now? It's for my own property.

Essentially will be to remove a single pendant and replace with 8 dimmable LED GU10 downlights.

My research has already steered me towards Varilight for the dimmable trailing edge switches but happy to hear recommended alternatives for that too.

Thanks in advance

fine for the varilight. they do a version with a master and slaves, so you can have 2/3 way switching. as for the fittings, I'd go for the integrated types with switchable colour temp. rather than GU10's. have a look at the JCC V50 and similar from CEF. integrated types are usually quicker to install, drivers separate from the lamp itself, and pricewise not much more than blank cans with GU10s fitted.

fine for the varilight. they do a version with a master and slaves, so you can have 2/3 way switching. as for the fittings, I'd go for the integrated types with switchable colour temp. rather than GU10's. have a look at the JCC V50 and similar from CEF. integrated types are usually quicker to install, drivers separate from the lamp itself, and pricewise not much more than blank cans with GU10s fitted.
The sole thing steering me towards non integrated is that I've become from a place with a Philips Hue setup and just absolutely loved the functionality you get with those bulbs. Cheapest way to set scenes/light automation etc. 100% if that wasn't on my mind then these integrated LED units look far superior to what they were 10 years ago

just as an additoin, most of what i said abve, the fittings are only around 2" deep and can be covered in insulation without flowerpots.

I still prefer cans and fit your own gu10's....maintenance. Integrated ones can look neat or more stylish but I have replaced many. The newer replacements incl JCC can be brighter and colour rendering different. Why is there no standard for D/L sizes ? We could just carry less holesaws and refits easier.
GU10s for me unless very shallow joists. However I have advised some customers if they fit say 10 units have 4x spares. Manufacturers change bezels as fast as car manufacturers change a trim.

The sole thing steering me towards non integrated is that I've become from a place with a Philips Hue setup and just absolutely loved the functionality you get with those bulbs. Cheapest way to set scenes/light automation etc. 100% if that wasn't on my mind then these integrated LED units look far superior to what they were 10 years ago
Hi @Mjward

You may find some of the Philips Hue lamps don't fit in all downlights. I would recommend speaking with the manufcaturer first to confirm. Otherwise you could end up dissappointed.

All the best.
Ivan

It was indeed a very good tip, alas they do not fit
Screenshot_20210706-111515_Email.jpg

Reply to Preferred GU10 fitting? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net