Discuss Preferred method for presenting galv conduit in/onto plastic accessories? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I've an otherwise small and simple job to do later, out of hours, fit an outdoor IP FSU for a small AC unit fed from an outdoor socket on an RFC, all external wall. However, because it's at an animal hospital and located where dogs get exercised I'm taking a cautious approach and doing it in 20mm galv for strength and the risk of leads getting tied to it. What's the current preferred method for terminating the tube onto a plastic accessory? I was just going to thread the end, fem coupler and then fix with a male brass bush (with a banjo to make an earth [running a cpc in anyway as using conduit as an earth just seems to confuse people these days....]) but I'm wondering if the outside part of that might not be 'fat' enough to prevent water getting inside - and sealant will probably just look shoddy.

An alternative, I guess, would be to just thread it and use a pair of gland nuts robbed from some SWA packs?

Deta Flanged Conduit Coupler 20mm 10 Pack - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/deta-flanged-conduit-coupler-20mm-10-pack/4899J?tc=FC7&ds_kid=92700055281954475&ds_rl=1249401&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6_CYBhDjARIsABnuSzpwtj_kbBzPyYJopX4rXoWKrsUb4kPohf3kiVaadDuAr6ngSbuHn8UaAp7AEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Everyday's a school day, even after 30+ years. Cheer's for that. Toolstation seem to sell them individually.

For plastic enclosures I have self-adhesive neoprene sheet which just sticks on to the top hat flange, and is cut inside and out with two twirls of a scalpel to make a permanent sealing washer. The banjo will serve as a washer on tbe inside.

Indeed they do. We use them regularly, but I wonder what protection they'd offer against water ingress if used outdoors with a plastic enclosure?
Not sure how well they'd protect in real terms, but as you point out everyone uses them here.

Indeed they do. We use them regularly, but I wonder what protection they'd offer against water ingress if used outdoors with a plastic enclosure?

As suggested above a neoprene washer would be better with plastic enclosures.

They are obviously supplied with lead washers because when the spec was originally written for them they were being used with decent solid metal enclosures and trunking.

Top hat couplers, they used to come with a lead washer for sealing but doubt they do now.
The two I picked up yesterday did, the only problem being that in order to make them squash enough to work the plastic on the accesory cases would have shattered - so I ended up having to seal with a mastic anyway.

As one does when clicking a link to any wholesaler, I often find myself browsing a few other products.

On this occasion it was (tentatively relevant to this thread) gel joints and the names given to these products never cease to amaze me. Alongside 'magic gel' we can now avail of the even better 'magic power gel' or the fantastically named 'tube of wonder gel'.

Makes me think of Mitch Hedberg and 'pretty good' glue.

Reply to Preferred method for presenting galv conduit in/onto plastic accessories? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net