Discuss Pretty Sure This is Wrong............... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Crosswire

Saw a DB in a new build flat today (before tenant moved in).

Was a standard dual RCD board, but the circuit supplying the fridge was not on either RCD

Was run in twin and earth in plasterboard walls same as other circuits, not in swa or surface

Now I can see WHY they did this - to preserve food in case of RCD trip - But surely this doesn't comply?

And before anyone says they future tenant will be a 'skilled or instructed person'

a) obviously they are not
b) if they are, then all circuits would not have to be RCD protected?

Any thoughts?

No was standard MCB,

To be honest I couldn't see inside wall, MAY have been in galv conduit I can't say for certain. Will try to find out over next few days, but my gut feeling is that it is unlikely

if it's run down the centre of a studded wall, it will just be 50mm deep.

Installation to 17th,

Can't say for certain the depth of the cable in the wall, but
if running cables inside studded walls ARE 50mm deep then why do we bother with RCD's at all?

think you'll find most studded walls are made of 75mm x 50mm timber so if the cables are installed smack in the center of the stud it will be 37.5mm from either side of the stud so not at a depth of 50mm

Last edited by a moderator:
the only reason an RCD is fitted to non-socket circuits is because of the 50mm rule. we still have to fit to socket circuits up to 32A for use by ordinary persons. ( 20A if indoors and not intended for outside use )

think you'll find most studded walls are made of 75mm x 50mm timber so if the cables are installed smack in the center of the stud it will be 37.5mm from either side of the stud so not at a depth of 50mm
add 1" for the plasterboard, ( both sides) and you just get 4" or 100mm.

The quicker RCBO's become cheaper the better!

I'd love to walk into B&Q one day and see...'10 way Dist. Board inc your choice of RCBO's for £60'

Saying that I can't wait to walk into B&Q and not see a single electrical item other a man behind a desk to which you have to show your ID too, who then lets you into the 'Electricians Section' :)

Saying that I can't wait to walk into B&Q and not see a single electrical item other a man behind a desk to which you have to show your ID too, who then lets you into the 'Electricians Section' :)

Thankfully, .... you'll be waiting a very long time to see that. Show ID, ...what ID you talking about then??

The installer has looked at the OSG the example page about RCD omittance which shows a diagram of a high integrity board with circuits omitted from RCD. Ie fridge. - but they didnt take into account the other regs to consider.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Thankfully, .... you'll be waiting a very long time to see that. Show ID, ...what ID you talking about then??

Napit/NIC/Elecsa card with your photo ID on.

And why do you say 'Thankfully'? Do you think it's right that any average person go into B&Q and buy electrical equipment?

Reply to Pretty Sure This is Wrong............... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net