Discuss problem with 60 amp fuse in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I changed two fuse boards in a house that is converted into 6 flats, these 2 boards control the communal lighting, which work on PIR sensors, so are never left on for long, they also control the fire alarm, emergency lights and the immersion heaters, one on each board.
So in each fuse board we have a 32 amp ring, a 16 amp water heater circuit, a 16 amp radial socket circuit and 2 lighting(6 amp) circuits.
When i turn the power on everything is fine, but then when i leave the job, an hour or so later i have the landlord on the phone saying nothings working, when i go back the 60 amp fuse has blown, but it seems to take an hour or 2 to blow, can anyone shed any light on this for me as i've been back 3 times now and am going out of my mind.
thanx, james.​

measure the total current drawn on the 60A fuse. sounds like it's pulling about 90A. is there a cannabis farm in the attic?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^As above^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Check for extension leads coming off sockets in communal areas (the landlord pays the bill for each flats electricity).

Worth staying around for an hour with your clip on Amp meter.

I had this problem before and it turned out that they supply cable from the fuse to the ccu had a snip where someone had cut of sheath and was arking cauding the fuse to blow you need to do an isulation resistance test on the cable or if its before the meter call dno

If that this case back out with the test gear and check double check everything from scrath !

I take it that its only the 60 A fuse blowing nothing else on the consumer side tripping on the new boards!

I would check the connections on the cutout/ryefield fuseholders that hold the 60a fuses that keep blowing.
If there is heat build up here due to loose terminations/fuse blades/contacts the heat could melt the fuse wire with only a few amps flowing.
By the time you return to site the fuseholder will have cooled down so you would never know.

A quick way to check for heat build up is the temperature sensing labels sold by RS. I’ve used them on fuses before. Will have a look for them later, busy cooking at the mo.

A quick way to check for heat build up is the temperature sensing labels sold by RS. I’ve used them on fuses before. Will have a look for them later, busy cooking at the mo.

I bet it isn't Puy lentils in creme fraiche and white wine, salmon baked with lemon and garlic, new potatoes, 10 minute old asparagus and roast parsnips coated in butter???

microwave curry?...
well we were at this place today....about 10ish the old bird that owned the joint came round with big bacon buttys for us all.......according to some of the others its a regular occurance...

or, even worse, a welshman

or possibly a welsh plumber,now theres lovely isn,t it! actually theres a funny story here seems my uncle was tracing our family tree and in 1700 and something 3 welsh brothers came from the valleys to mine coal locally,6 months later they head back to the valleys and a few months later the daughter of the man they were staying with has a baby,and the rest as they say is history.

Reply to problem with 60 amp fuse in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net