Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Pulling fuses in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. nicsin02

nicsin02 Regular EF Member

Hi guys what's your opinions in pulling main fuses to replace d/b's? I am against it and always fought it was ilegal etc.... But checking other forums the majority of ppl say the just pull it, any1 else just pull it?

2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Respected Member

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    you have 3 options.

1. work with live tails.

2. pull fuse.

3. bang head against brick wall phoning DNO.

• Like Like x 3
  3. darkwood

darkwood Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

It is illegal and so is driving at 35 in a 30 buteveryone does it, but this isn't advice to do it too im just saying what happens in realty ... the risk here is the cutout collapsing or the fuse carrier breaking apart.. its a real risk and you probably end in hospital if your lucky if it occured.

If you are confident wear the appropriate Protective clothing and use appropriate insulated tools it should not be beyond a competent and confident experienced Electricians capabilities to cut the tails live and re-route into a appropriate Henley block....

You are taught to isolate and not work live under these circumstances and to remove the DNO fuse you need to arrange for them to do it their exists only one circumstance where you can remove the DNO fuse without risk of prosecution and that is when not doing so immediately could be a risk of life or a fire hazard.... this dosn't however mean you can remove it to stop the risk to yourself to do the work its where isolating the customers main switch would not remove the danger i.e. if the main switch was arcing or smoking and overheating and the risk of physically trying to operate it could endanger you and leaving it as is would be a fire hazard.

In a word no you cant remove it for your CU change .... and with new smart meters that log power down times the first successful prosections have already happened.

• Like Like x 2
  4. ifindoubtdont

ifindoubtdont DIY

If while inspecting said DB you found a life threatening fault, and the only way of isolating said fault was pulling fuse, so be it. Replace faulty DB, replace fuse tell DNO.

5. SJD

SJD Forum Mentor

If you are in SSE area, scheme members can get temp seals from the SSE - this is what I do - after replacing fuse, add a numbered temp seal, and call them to notify you've done it. I've found SSE quite helpful, I don't know that any other areas that do this?

• Like Like x 3
  6. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Respected Member

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    it's too much like common sense for our local DNO. it took 3 months of phoning and emailing to get an answer on whether PME was available at 1 of my client's.

• Like Like x 1
  7. nicsin02

No life threating faults on d/b, client who own several properties wants d/b replaced with dual RCD, I was thinking if the power company came out to check meter- seen fuse has been removed- seen new d/b- puts 2 + 2 together and traces with client who fitted new d/bs etc.... And it will lead them to the company I work for

8. Brendan976

Brendan976 Regular EF Member

I pull them and dont give it a second thought. Just make sure there is no load on it, ie you have turned it all off.
    I would sooner that than try to work on live stuff did that in my yourger days. I dont do that now.

Ben

9. Engineer54

Engineer54 Guest

Any links to confirm that statement, where an electrician has pulled the fuse in order to undertake a CU change?? I just find that highly unlikely!! lol!!

• Like Like x 5
  10. ifindoubtdont

ifindoubtdont DIY

It was meant to be a, read between the lines, comment.

11. nicsin02

When I moved into my house I re-wired it and got Scottish power out to install a isolator switch before I touched the d/b, I would never do it live!!!!

12. OWLelectrical

OWLelectrical Guest

western power will do this if you request a switch

13. Guest111

Guest111 Guest

There are 2 ways of doing it and I've done both but I know what I'm doing and wouldn't advise anyone on which way to go.It all depends on training and circumstances,

14. shanky887614

shanky887614 Electrician's Arms

never pulled a fuse, but i have witnessed them fall out, i asume it was because of the missing tags.

a couple guys ive worked with hide the tags because if they dont see you doing it then they cant prove anything in there exact words

15. timo1

timo1 Electrician's Arms

Southern Electric will let you pull fuse if you are with a scheme. I have some seals that I use afterwards which I have aquired. If the fuse carrier looks healthy I will pull it. Always have PPE on though (Gloves and eye protection)