Discuss Putting downlights in bedroom! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

MrTrance

Hi, I live in an ex council property (3 bedroom), smallish house on a block. Not sure when it was built (wired), bit cofused on the lighting wiring because i'm used to doing it the way i'm shown at work.

Basically I currently have a light up with 2 neutrals and 1 live at it. But at my switch I have a common and 2 L1's (all red). No need to worry about earthing but I'm just wondering how this is wired, what am I dealing with?

I want to put 4downlights in my bedroom but what would I have to do with the current 2 neutrals? Joint box them through but take a L+N to my first spot, then link round all 4 spots, but what would I do when I get to the last spot, just leave it as it's a radial??

CONFUSED.com :D

Thanks for any help,
Micky

hi, the two L1's you say at the switch must be a loop common if it's not two way, why else would you have 2 switch wires for one 1way light?
The two neutrals at the light is either a loop in loop out or a 'borrowed neutral' just connect them all up in a junction box along with your switched live and earth then come off that to loop round your down lights.
simples ;-)

just try and move your 2 neutrals and switch wire to your first spot light, which ever spot light is nearst, then just loop a l-n around the rest off your spots.

oh and yes your last spot is your last spot the end finnished no more caput.
so your last spot will have one cable only ;-)

So in my joint box ill put the 2 neutrals together with the a neutral going to first spot, and switch wire with first live to spot, sound simples.

So do the Neutrals go round all my upstairs lights, and lives go round my swiches, which leaves me with a single switch wire?

Reply to Putting downlights in bedroom! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net