Discuss PV Array Isolation in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

brian@apes

Would appreciate advice and opinions from MCS Installers on the following:
Existing PV System on/in a domestic property that is now being fully refurbished and extended. DC isolator, Inverter, Generation Meter and AC Isolator board mounted on what is now a garage wall, but will be an internal Study wall. Architect has specified that the board will need to be removed during the works and then the components re-installed on a new board once the wall has been insulated and plastered.
My questions are:
Assuming there isn't another DC isolator up in the roof space, is the only way to achieve isolation for these works to disconnect the plugs in the roof space?
What are the 'standard' (if they exist) terms of Warranties / Guarantees with regard post installation works?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Is your installer not around still?

Let's just say that it's doable to move it all safely even if there is no isolator in the loft if you know what you're doing, but I'd be wary about giving someone who's not trained the information as it's also possible to kill yourself doing it.

Thanks to sedgy34, sparkless & Gavin A for replies so far.

Yes, thanks, I am aware of potential dangers, hence my post. I should say that I'm the electrical contractor on the job for the refurb + extension.
When I did the PV qual (but decided not to pursue further) it was recommended that a DC isolator be installed in the loft too - but the PV contractor here didn't bother!
Yes I can open the isolator - but this is screwed to the board too, and given the other works going on, I'm not happy leaving live DC cables + isolator dangling in the air.
I haven't contacted the original PV contractor yet, but I suspect they may be more interested in new installs, or will charge the client silly money for maintenance especially as it will involve 2 or more visits- but I may be proved wrong.
As there'll be construction works going on in the roof area, I think the best approach will be to disconnect at the Array/DC cable junction in the loft and then enclose the Array cable ends in insulated boxes for the duration of the works (which are scheduled to take up to six months).
Cheers

Reply to PV Array Isolation in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net