Discuss PV on a Church in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Octopus

So a local customer of mine is looking at PV I've no vested interest but they have two really good questions:

1. The PV would be sited on a flat roof which is about 25 years old - what happens when the roof needs replacing?

2. They have minimal usage during the week days so would they much benefit?

Thanks

So a local customer of mine is looking at PV I've no vested interest but they have two really good questions:

1. The PV would be sited on a flat roof which is about 25 years old - what happens when the roof needs replacing?

2. They have minimal usage during the week days so would they much benefit?

Thanks

1: I suppose they would have to removed, then replaced on the new roof, not your problem!
2: They'll be feeding back into the supply, so they'll be earning on the FIT.

Current tariff rates are here for new systems being installed NOW and up to 30th October this year: http://www.ofgem.gov.uk/Sustainabili...0PV%20Only.pdf

Note also the EPC requirement of at least a D for the hogher rate, unless the builidng is excempt..

I know there has been a fair bit of discussion about PV on Churches, from what I recall, to get the higher rate tariff , they still need to have an EPC rating of at least D wigihc is often impossible. I'm sure others will correct if I'm wrong

Current tariff rates are here for new systems being installed NOW and up to 30th October this year: http://www.ofgem.gov.uk/Sustainabili...0PV%20Only.pdf

Note also the EPC requirement of at least a D for the hogher rate, unless the builidng is excempt..

I know there has been a fair bit of discussion about PV on Churches, from what I recall, to get the higher rate tariff , they still need to have an EPC rating of at least D wigihc is often impossible. I'm sure others will correct if I'm wrong

It is possible to achieve a D rating if no heating in the building although churches are exempt from EPC. But it still depends on the FIT provider how they interpret the legislation. I have a church to do within two weeks and have declaration from EPC assessor. This has been sent off for approval from EON (still waiting for reply) if not I will need an full EPC.

On what grounds? I think you said that there was no heating in the church. That alone should be sufficient to not need an EPC.

I suggest you contact Ofgem to get formal approval for this. I have a garden allotments with a large shed which wants panels installing which will have no heating or cooling so would class as a non relevant building as well so I'm interested in the outcome of this.

We have installed on a Summerhouse with it's own supply mpan, since it wasn't classified as a dwelling, and didn't have any heating, the energy assesor told us it was exempt and didn't need one (it would have got a B anyway if ity had needed one..) He simply gave as a letter with the relavent words on. The key is the 'conditioned environment' and if a church has heating then it is liable for an EPC for FiT.

They prefer an EPC. The declaration was a little vague and she said quite a few churches have failed and received the lower rate. We have recently done a grain storage shed and that required an EPC, managed to get a D. Will keep you all posted.

I was of the understanding that if a building, or one connected to that MPAN is heated or cooled using a form of energy then an EPC was required, IE PV on barn, but farmhouse on same supply so farmhouse needs EPC not the barn.

What would there be from stopping anyone building a small, well insulated heated shed, and get the EPC, of course I am not suggesting that anyone actually does this....

That's why uninsulated unheated warehouses with a small well insulated office unit legitimately get a good EPC. EPC's are not required for FiT for buildings that are not 'conditioned'

@Jason121, I would suggest dealing with a different FiT provider, there is no way a grain store needs an EPC if that is the ONLY use of the store. If it has a workshop attached with some kind of space heating sharing the same MPAN, different matter.

Reply to PV on a Church in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net