Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss PV Panel - Output Deterioration in the Solar PV Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Tags:
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. DefyG

DefyG Regular EF Member

Hi all,

Looking at a project whereby client wishes to use some second hand (approx. 8 years old) panels, inverter etc. he has acquired from a demolished property.

Before getting subbies in to quote on re-installing them I am wondering your opinion on the output of the panels as someone has suggested (not on here) that an older panel may not be as efficient as a new one today of equivalent size? Could this be the case? If so would the cost of replacing them out weigh any benefit gained by re-using panels (especially if the addition output is minimal)!

They were also retro fitted to an existing roof and it has been suggested that they be re-installed flush with the roof tiles. Again views on this please, is it possible?

Cheers

Cheers

2. TJ Anderson

TJ Anderson Forum Mentor

When I started to install that stuff 10 years ago IIRC correctly I remember for a panel to be MCS approved, part of the criteria was that it could lose upto 10% over 20 years. Dirt and bird crap is more of an issue lol as most roof mounted systems never get cleaned!!

3. Gary K

Gary K Regular EF Member

I assume that he is not considering claiming the FIT(if it still exists)?

4. spinlondon

spinlondon Forum Mentor

Could he claim FIT, if the building is a gym?

5. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
  6. DefyG

DefyG Regular EF Member

Tell me about it, the amount of s.....t Red Kites around here produce is amazing!!![​IMG]
    Living under the 'flight path'!!

Thanks for the article, of course would all be tested and maybe best to recommend new panels in any case as they deteriorate in time.
    System all purchased in good faith as 'working' but of course we've all been there!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Gary K

Gary K Regular EF Member

I assume so as there are plenty of companies around with panels on but not if he is purchasing second hand panels as I believe there has to be a paper trail from purchasing new