Discuss Radial circuit and the use of spurs in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Tradewind25

I currently have an integral garage fed by a radial circuit protected by a 32A MCB and wired with 4mm T&E cable. This feeds just two power points in the garage (and nothing else).
i wish to redesign this circuit to provide several more power points and would like to check whether my proposed design is within regulations. What I foresee is a number of junction boxes wired in series in 4mm cable. From each box would be a single power point wired in 2.5mm T&E cable. In effect, all outlets on the circuit would be spurs.

i would be grateful of your professional comments on this design. (I am aware of tge 33m total cable length restriction.)

Regards
Geoff

Hi Tradewind25 welcome to the forum ... you are down as retired but don't specify, so with can put your query in the correct section can you tell us if you have any electrical background thanks.

OP - Be very careful, your design describes dropping cable size from the junction boxes which is a no go.

Please make sure you complete your circuit design calculations before undertaking any work - what is your proposed maximum demand? Also, what is the supply type?

just carry on with 4mm, socket to socket. any branches in 4mm. and they're not spurs unless off a ring, on a radial they're branches. just be careful that your calculated load is < 32A. if you want lights, fit a FCU fused @ 5A.

The total load at any one time is unlikely to exceed 13A. I simply wish to have a greater choice of sockets to use around the garage wall. The space in question is approx 6x7 metres. There will be no lighting off this circuit.

I read in several threads on the topic of radial circuits (not necessarily on this forum) that, although a 32A protected circuit has to be wired in 4mm cable, "spurs" may be taken from a socket on the circuit and wired in 2.5mm cable. As I see it, under my proposed design I am simply replacing the radial sockets with junction boxes.

The reason I do not wish to create a simple radial circuit is that I do not want horizontal runs of cable at socket height; I prefer the main cable run to be at ceiling height. To then drop two cables to each socket would inevitably mean my contravening the 33m limit.

Go with Tel's post, keep with the 4mm, if you insist on spuring with 2.5 with your drops, change the mcb to 20amp.

OK guys, I give in - I'll use 4mm cable throughout.
Just to be clear, I am correct in thinking that the rest of mynproposed design is OK? I.e. All sockets are wired as spurs from junction boxes.

Why would you want to do it this way rather than cable in and back out of each socket? The more joints the more problems and the less reliable.

I may be misunderstanding, but they wouldn't be Spurs as its a radial circuit. the junction boxes would be joints in the circuit.

DIYer's luv a JB or three!
FYI: This DIYer has a first class Electrical Engineering degree. However that was many years ago and I am far from up to speed with currect Regs. I had hoped that this forum would provide reliable advice, rather than facetious comments.

FYI: This DIYer has a first class Electrical Engineering degree. However that was many years ago and I am far from up to speed with currect Regs. I had hoped that this forum would provide reliable advice, rather than facetious comments.

Forget the degree, just use a little common sense!
Every joint is a potential point of failure, common sense says you don't add a load of unnecessary joints.
If you are insistent on adding unnecessary joints then why not use 4mm for the branches?

If you are insistent on adding unnecessary joints then why not use 4mm for the branches?
1. I have already agreed that 4mm throughout would be better.
2. The "unnecessary" joints are due to my understanding that there is a max cable length.

Reply to Radial circuit and the use of spurs in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net