Discuss radio Teleswitch series K in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Has anyone out there got a connection diagram for a Horstmann Radio Teleswitch series K. See attached photo. At present I have one 12way consumer unit the serves the whole bungalow. I live on the Isle of Arran.
The KWH tariff is very expensive. I want to utilise the RTS for the water heating at night time. Existing layout. No outputs from the RTS
Any help or advice would be very helpful.
John
476FCF06-AAEE-41C5-8721-11EAA73556EA.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
There's normally a wiring diagram on the reverse side of the terminal cover, but unless you have some kind of unusual ub metered private supply, both those meters are the property of the company you pay your electricity bill to, and any connection or disconnection should be done by them.
What fuel do you use to heat your house?

Has anyone out there got a connection diagram for a Horstmann Radio Teleswitch series K. See attached photo. At present I have one 12way consumer unit the serves the whole bungalow. I live on the Isle of Arran.
The KWH tariff is very expensive. I want to utilise the RTS for the water heating at night time. Existing layout. No outputs from the RTS
Any help or advice would be very helpful.
JohnView attachment 106754

Opening another thread to basically ask the same question isn't going to change things.

If you were competent to connect, You wouldn't need to ask how to wire it.

You need to talk to your supplier.

There's normally a wiring diagram on the reverse side of the terminal cover, but unless you have some kind of unusual ub metered private supply, both those meters are the property of the company you pay your electricity bill to, and any connection or disconnection should be done by them.
What fuel do you use to heat your house?
Electrical panel convector heaters wall mounted. Very expensive to run - fed from the 12 way house consumer unit. The water is heated via a cylinder with two immersion heater. One at the bottom and one at the top (boost) this is also fed of the house consumer via a timer.
John

Energy UK is now urging all consumers with Radio Teleswitched meters currently installed to look out for communications from your electricity supplier on upgrading to a smart meter and book your installation as soon as it is available.

If these are panel heaters, rather than storage heaters, then you will probably be better off on a single 24 hour tariff, unless you keep very unusual hours. The extra charge for the 17 daytime hours will more than offset the savings at night when heating water.
Unless you have an extremely well insulated house, panel heaters are an expensive option.
In a normal all electric house with stored hot water and storage heaters, then E7 is the tariff to go for, but not with panel heaters.
Is this a new house to you? Was it previously occupied by an elderly person or couple? There was (is?) a company out there, using national advertising and high pressure sales technique to sell totally unsuitable panel heaters to certain vulnerable members of society. I've 'saved' more than one of my regular customers before they signed on the dotted line.
mainline's point is valid. Radio switches will cease to work in the near future, although the shut down date has already been postponed once.

For anyone considering changing to a so called 'smart' meter, don't just go ahead and book it. Eon offered me a £50 bribe this week, so I expect others are as well, or can be negotiated to do so.
Still 'no sale' with me, though.

If these are panel heaters, rather than storage heaters, then you will probably be better off on a single 24 hour tariff, unless you keep very unusual hours. The extra charge for the 17 daytime hours will more than offset the savings at night when heating water.
Unless you have an extremely well insulated house, panel heaters are an expensive option.
In a normal all electric house with stored hot water and storage heaters, then E7 is the tariff to go for, but not with panel heaters.
Is this a new house to you? Was it previously occupied by an elderly person or couple? There was (is?) a company out there, using national advertising and high pressure sales technique to sell totally unsuitable panel heaters to certain vulnerable members of society. I've 'saved' more than one of my regular customers before they signed on the dotted line.
mainline's point is valid. Radio switches will cease to work in the near future, although the shut down date has already been postponed once.
House new to me. As you suggested it may be better to run all electrical lighting, power, heating and water heating of the single tariff meter and forget about reconnecting the Radio Teleswitch. Many thanks

I've just changed a couple of supplies from E7 to a 24 hour tariff. E7 was 76p/unit day and 46p/ 7 hours at night. New 24 hr tariff is 64p/unit. That's 12p/unit extra during the day to save 18p/unit during the night.
Note that these are the 'real' figures, undistorted by temporary government subsidies.

Reply to radio Teleswitch series K in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net