Discuss Radio telemeter series K in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have a Horstmann Radio Telemeter series K that is not working. I have one consumer unit with all circuits. This consumer is fed via a normal standard tariff meter. I have a econ 7 timer for the hot water tank with two immersion heaters. Do I need to install a consumer unit for the hot water circuit and connect it to the radio telemeter.
Any help woul be gratefully accepted.
Many thanks
6021B3F5-A2FB-4B73-90E0-C582A3E8DA63.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's an unusual setup, I'd hazard a guess that someone has previously disconnected the live tail from the off-peak meter and fitted the Henley block to join it in to the 24hr meter.

Are you on an economy 7 tariff?

I have a econ 7 timer for the hot water cylinder with two immersion heaters with the times set from 12.30am to 7.30am. But this is connected into the general consumer.
I managed to speak to some one from SSE and was informed the the radio telemeter was switched off or disconnected in 2020 which was before I bought the house.
Any help would be very helpful.

can I take a live from the radio telemeter meter to a new consumer for the water heating which has econ 7 timer. At present the timer is wired into the whole house CU.

I have a econ 7 timer for the hot water cylinder with two immersion heaters with the times set from 12.30am to 7.30am. But this is connected into the general consumer.
I managed to speak to some one from SSE and was informed the the radio telemeter was switched off or disconnected in 2020 which was before I bought the house.
Any help would be very helpful.
Yes into another Cu then off to storage heaters etc , but you would be interfering with the meter, best to have a chat to your supplier.

Cant see the point if the Telemeter is switched off, though.

If the RTS meter was switched off in 2020 then you can't currently be on an Economy & Tariff.
You need to speak to your supplier and request Economy 7, then either they will enable it on the meter again and the Immersion heaters will need connecting to it, or the supplier will come and fit a new meter that doesn't need RTS, see below.

In England the Radio signal that's used for switching Off peak meters (RTS) is going to be turned off in March 2024, it was originally to be March 2023.
I'm wondering if the radio signal is already off in your area, hence why the meter was disconnected and someone has moved the tails to standard tariff .

Or may be the same as me where I changed to a single tariff as I wasn't using enough on the Off peak to justify the increased Standard rate tariff.
The difference is though at the moment my RTS meter still works but I submit both readings which the supplier charges at the same Standard tarriff.

It hasn't stopped them emailing me regularly informing me I must change to a "Smart" meter before the RTS is turned off, otherwise my off peak may not work.

Thanks for all your help. I will speak to the supplier to find a way forward.👍
Note that if you revert to a dual tariff, you will be paying considerably more for the electricity used during 17 hours of the day than you do now. You will need to be using about a third of your electricity between midnight and 7am for this to be worthwhile.

They made the mistake of phoning last Thursday, after numerous emails. Wife answered, but passed her phone to me.
I'm not normally rude to call centre staff, just doing their job, but in this case I made an exception.

Probably, but you need to do some research into how much electricity you use over a few days. Note the meter readings at midnight and at 7am over a few days, first with the water heater on all the time, and then with the water heater only on between midnight and 7am.

If I was a mind to reconnect the RTS and install a small 2way CU just for the economic water heating, As I not familiar with the RTS shown in my picture and the correct way to connect it, could you explain how I need to connect it?
Thanks for any help.
John

If I was a mind to reconnect the RTS and install a small 2way CU just for the economic water heating, As I not familiar with the RTS shown in my picture and the correct way to connect it, could you explain how I need to connect it?
Thanks for any help.
John
I don't think you will find anyone on here who will guide you in connecting it, as already said you would be interfering with an electric meter, although It's already been messed with and left without seals.

Reply to Radio telemeter series K in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net