Discuss RCCB Tripping, after some reno work in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Drsunni

DIY
Reaction score
Hi guys. Looking for some advice.

I’ve had some building work done.
1. Outhouse. The wiring internally was changed but the wiring from the house to the outhouse is the same. All electrics working okay in there.

2. Conservatory built. Wiring is in however it is not connected up yet so no current passing through it.

3. Utility room renovation. The electrics are all exposed including at the sockets but the RCD is switched off while they are renovating.

Everything was fine till they started working on the utility. Now, every time a high power appliance is used, the RCCB trips. Can be a microwave, their power tools, electrical oven. Smaller devices are okay.

No RCD trips. Just the RCCB. I’ve individually switched all the RCDs off but it still trips. I have an EV charger and I turned off every other RCD except the EV charger. But then I tried to use the EV charger, the RCCB still tripped.

Confused where to go from here? Am I right in thinking if the faulty circuit RCD is turned off, the RCCB shouldn’t trip? If that’s the case, why does it still trip even when I just leave the EV charger on?

Appreciate any advice.

TL;DR
RCCB tripping but RCD not tripping. Cannot find the faulty circuit.
Last edited:
A picture of the distribution board would be of great help

Ok, so I am presuming it is one of the units with the test button that is tripping?
if so, this is possibly due to the N and Earth cables touching on art of the installation, probably the part being worked on.

the site electrician should have disconnected and made safe the cables being worked on but it seems that this may not be the case.
iwould get them on the phone or on site and bring up your concerns with them.
it is not right that this is happening and suggests a problem that the builders have created.

Ok, so I am presuming it is one of the units with the test button that is tripping?
if so, this is possibly due to the N and Earth cables touching on art of the installation, probably the part being worked on.

the site electrician should have disconnected and made safe the cables being worked on but it seems that this may not be the case.
iwould get them on the phone or on site and bring up your concerns with them.
it is not right that this is happening and suggests a problem that the builders have created.
Yes, it’s the RCCB on the left of the photo, next to the blue EV charger RCD.
Can an RCCB trip even if the RCD to that circuit is off?

Last edited:
Simply turning off the office circuit breaker does not fully isolate the circuit.
Neutral is still connected and as the rccb checks against neutral to earth faults as well as live to earth, any neutral wire even slightly touching any earthed metal will cause it to trip.

Whoever is doing the electrical work should know this.

Your terminology has to be correct for an accurate answer. You say mccb, which is a different device to an rccb….. and you just called an mcb an mcd….. which is a fast food restaurant with the clown and the happy meals. 😁

Please tell me the builder isn't personally doing the electrical works.

Reply to RCCB Tripping, after some reno work in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net