Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss RCD issue, or is it? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. the pict

the pict Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Devlin Maguire Electrical
    Changed a consumer unit everything fine all test came back hunky dory, but one RCD would not trip on the test button so swapped them around, same deal,I then got random trips from unassociated circuits IE kitchen ring plug in kettle and the opposite RCD would trip disconnect incoming earth RCD,s behave normally Ze .18 didn't clamp the earth to check any current flow did't think of it till on my way back, the only other thing I did after the tests was connect an outside light for the tenant to existing cable, so i am thinking a shared N any clues would be great
    Dev

2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    or a N-E fault.

• Like Like x 2
  3. the pict

the pict Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Yep most likely, going back any way to fit a shed light, so my plan is to disconnect the earths one by one to get the RCD to behave and hopefully indentify the culprit, is there anything else you can suggest may be contributing

4. hightower

hightower Guest

Unless I'm being a dipstick, shouldn't your plan revolve around proper testing rather than disconnecting conductors designed for safety? First place to begin is with an IR test....

• Like Like x 3
  5. polo1

polo1 Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    GW Electrical & Security
    As Hightower has suggested, IR tests are the first step (assuming rcds are ramping ok and within specified tripping times).
    Please tell us you don't intend to leave cpcs disconnected:confused1:

• Like Like x 2
  6. hightower

hightower Guest

And to go one further than this, not only should you not be disconnecting CPCs whilst the installation is energised, your IR tests should be carried out with all CPCs connected to the busbar and all bonding in place.

7. the pict

the pict Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    I think you have mis read my OP,

8. hightower

hightower Guest

I don't think it's that the OP has been misread, than the fact you've explicitly stated you're going to be disconnecting CPCs with the assumption you will be re-energising (otherwise how would you be able to see that RCDs are behaving).

• Like Like x 2
  9. the pict

the pict Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    OK disconnect each circuit in turn,test RCD, if it behaves then the fault has been found

10. DPG

DPG Electrician's Arms

What dead test results did you get?

11. hightower

hightower Guest

Or, and stick with me on this because it is a totally radical idea, you could plug in an IR tester and try and find the fault using the method every electrical book going would explain. You know, just a crazy thought?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rob

Rob Trusted Advisor

An I-R test will almost certainly find this fault. My money would be a N-E fault, hence why only higher loads are causing issues.

As someone who's managed to get 'trusted advisor' status on here, this is a little worrying then you're just disconnecting things randomly.

• Like Like x 1
  13. the pict

the pict Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Like I said done that and all test come back ok, but, and this is the bit that aint playing ball with every circuit without anything plugged in, cooker,shower immerse etc etc all disconnected and all bulbs out and in the switched on position doing a global IR I get a X reconnected everything I get random trips, dis main earth random goes away

14. the pict

the pict Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Thats because you assume I am some sort of idiot

15. polo1

polo1 Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    GW Electrical & Security
    Sorry if I have! It did seem a bit strange:blush: