Discuss RCD protection for circuits in a toilet (not shower/bathroom) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Experience and guidance under supervision is only no longer an option if you choose to qualify in a particular fashion and route.
Is it suitable and fair to gain experience by carrying out reports for paying customers whilst asking how to do your job on the internet ?

As Harry Callahan would say, a man's got to know his limitations.

Just agree to LIM everything and jobs a goodun then. :biggrin:

Just agree to LIM everything and jobs a goodun then. :biggrin:

You can laugh, but I have seen an EICR where all test results were given a LIM due to the circuits not being marked up. This obviously gave rise to an unsatisfactory report result, but of course the EICR would not even be issued until the customer had agreed to hand over £900 for a CU change and alterations to the cooker circuit.

That's how one NICEIC approved contractor near me works within their limitations.

You can laugh, but I have seen an EICR where all test results were given a LIM due to the circuits not being marked up. This obviously gave rise to an unsatisfactory report result, but of course the EICR would not even be issued until the customer had agreed to hand over £900 for a CU change and alterations to the cooker circuit.

That's how one NICEIC approved contractor near me works within their limitations.

Yes all jokes aside, that is just ridiculous. IMO just because he is NICEIC AC, does not mean hi is not a cowboy.

No, inspection and testing has never been about becoming qualified, it has always been about being competent.
There are no courses or apprenticeships for becoming an inspector.
Yes there are qualifications, but they do not provide experience or competence.
From what I recall, inspection and testing was a part of the 2360 course.
Unfortunately from my experience most electricians forgot it all as soon as they became qualified.
It wasn't until Part P that they started purchasing test equipment.
Even now on large building sites, the majority of electricians only have a vague understanding about inspecting and testing.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, inspection and testing has never been about becoming qualified, it has always been about being competent.
There are no courses or apprenticeships for becoming an inspector.
Yes there are qualifications, but they do not provide experience or competence.
From what I recall, inspection and testing was a part of the 2360 course.
Unfortunately from my experience most electricians forgot it all as soon as they became qualified.
It wasn't until Part P that they started purchasing test equipment.
Even now on large building sites, the majority of electricians only have a vague understanding about inspecting and testing.

I'm assuming this is a reply to my post #30
I did not mean that qualification was necessary, but that in qualifying in a particular manner namely the recognised route under supervision, experience and guidance would be available to make an electrician experienced and competent in inspection and testing.

You are right about general standards and knowledge surrounding inspection and testing, and I would say especially on large sites. Knowledge and practice can easily lapse when employed under a QS system where there is a distinct difference made between the installer and the inspector and tester.

My point is: even those electricians who have been lucky enough to have been apprenticed, still have to obtain experience in conducting periodics.
Unfortunately, unless you are employed by a company which conducts inspection and testing, and are then assigned to work alongside an experienced inspector. There is no other way to gain experience other than gaining it by yourself.
Being competent is another matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Paul first things first, if you continue to complain and keep fuelling the fire it will be seen as Trolling which is not tolerated on the Forum.
Now re- the Click as you call it I can assure you those days have gone but at the same time you will only ever get out what you put in regarding the forum. I have read through your posting history and I have to be honest it does read like someone who is out of their depth in the testing world, now that my seem harsh but it's how it appears, We have long said that the lads will help anyone they can if the person asking gives them as much information as possible in the opening post, but they will not just spit out answers willy nilly.
Maybe as suggested you should fill out your profile to give members a better idea of your quals and experience. Another suggestion from me would be to try and gain some experience from a more experienced inspector ( perhaps share a eicr with them and share the profit ) thisway you will start to see it from a different perspective.
And finally if you take offence to a reply by another member then simply report it!! Don't derail the thread otherwise it will be closed.

Reply to RCD protection for circuits in a toilet (not shower/bathroom) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net