Discuss RCD Tripping from Power Saw in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Andrewbullie

Hi All,

I have a 2400w power saw on 230v which is tripping after about 0.3 seconds. It is running of a 16A RCD with no other devices on the circuit. Could this be caused by a high current demand at the start up or is it more likely to be something else?

My calculations reckon that it should draw 10.5A, but if it was a short, would it allow the saw to start enough to spin the blade like it is?

PS, I'm not an electrician as you may have guessed but have a limited knowledge.

Cheers

Andy

Couple of questions:
Is it really a 16A RCD or is it a MCB, either way is it a B16 or C16 or D16 (written on the breaker)
If you look at the breaker just write down what it says on it or photograph it so we can have a look see.
Its possible that if on a B16 it could trip on start up even though there is nothing wrong with it

Are you sure its not an RCBO (Combined overload and earth leakage) as i suspect you mean, What type mcb rating is it (b), (c) etc

If you have them, have a look at the instructions that came with the power saw see if it mentions anything about it needing a C type breaker, also have you tried it in the house say on a B32 breaker, like on your sockets ?

Also are you sure its an RCD type breaker, is there a little test button on this breaker ?
cheers

Is this a saw with a 13amp plug top? if so did it come with this on or is it a larger saw for which ive given advice on .... and im still unsure what is and what isn't tripping you are not been clear?

You also say ring main ...what makes you think its a ring if its only protected by a 16amp mcb?

Last edited:
It is a standard 13A plug 12" mitre saw my a manufacturer of 'Sip'. The supply to the shed is via 2.5 T&E to the RCCB. From there the ring runs via a B16 breaker and it is this which trips each time. The fuse in the plug is ok.

- - - Updated - - -

I am planning on taking to work in the morning as we have an empty factory unit with various supplies available

It is the building that housed the inner building that we are planning on being demolished.... Either you have a good memory or you looked at my previous posts! :icon6:

It sounds like it tripping on inrush then, a C type may cure this ( no promises) but is only an option if the ELI would comply to regs otherwise plug into a Ring main elsewhere and i suspect you wont have any problems as this other Ring should have a 32a mcb covering it which is the problem with the shed as you cant upgrade the mcb to larger size due to supply cable size.

Plug into a standard ring main i believe this will cure your problems ...the shed set-up dosn't sound like you can adapt it to work and yes the motor inrush on the 16b mcb sounds like your culprit.

Reply to RCD Tripping from Power Saw in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net