Discuss RE: XS Training in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi Engineer

well I heard also it could be done in 10 weeks

I cant see this being possible as I signed up for it last march 2011 and only really began around Nov last year
so really its taken me almost 12 months and I have spent many Hours completing some days all day lol but it may be because i used a lot more evidence than what was required
whoever does it in 10weeks is a STAR lol

Last edited:
Juts had a read through and will enlighten some of the posts,

firstly it isn`t really supposed to teach you anything. It is more of a case of proving you have the competence through work related tasks to gain the certificate. It can be done in ten weeks I actually completed mine in 11 weeks when I did it. tbh mine was done via on site assessments as well as online and a separate portfolio as well.

the 10 week thing isn`t really about it being a short course but its about having the correct jobs at the time to prove you have done them. for instance if I had not done any different wiring systems etc or filled the requirements of it I would have taken longer to achieve it until I had proven the evidence.
I was fortunate at the time to be working within a company that had night clubs pubs and domestic rental properties so the scope of work was there that I needed.

It took a day to type out the dam contents page for the paper based portfolio and tie it up to the on line evidence so those who are doing it through XS are fortunate that it is all on line.
hoop jumping yes lots of it. taking pictures all hi-vissed up with hard hats on a stage in a lap dancing club made me look like a male stripper and the manager thought i had lost the plot :D

Some interesting comments on this post and Phil has highlighted some great points in his post.

We have to remember that a typical apprentice wil take about 4 years to complete this NVQ and some of during this process it can often be like pulling teeth as the average apprentice does not really value what the NVQ is all about. An apprentice has to take this length of time as they are often straight out of school and have to learn the underpinning knowledge before being assessed. For example, the underpinning knowledge for testing etc will not be taught until the third year at college.

A "Practising Operative" could be someone who has worked in the trade for a number of years and has already proven the underpinning knowledge and has practical experience in all the units of this NVQ. So they could (as Phil did) complete their NVQ in a short period of time due to the fact that they are being assessed against the things that they are already competent in, they just need to collect the evidence to demonstrate the competency, this is why some can, and often do complete their NVQ in months rather than years and this fact should not distract from the value of the NVQ.

As some have highlighted, it is not about teaching you to suck eggs IF you are already competent. However, the apprenticeship route is a totally different ball game and is about teaching and assessing etc and therein lies the difference I suppose.

Some great posts on here though and it is interesting to see the many different viewpoints on this NVQ.

Juts had a read through and will enlighten some of the posts,

firstly it isn`t really supposed to teach you anything. It is more of a case of proving you have the competence through work related tasks to gain the certificate. It can be done in ten weeks I actually completed mine in 11 weeks when I did it. tbh mine was done via on site assessments as well as online and a separate portfolio as well.

the 10 week thing isn`t really about it being a short course but its about having the correct jobs at the time to prove you have done them. for instance if I had not done any different wiring systems etc or filled the requirements of it I would have taken longer to achieve it until I had proven the evidence.
I was fortunate at the time to be working within a company that had night clubs pubs and domestic rental properties so the scope of work was there that I needed.

It took a day to type out the dam contents page for the paper based portfolio and tie it up to the on line evidence so those who are doing it through XS are fortunate that it is all on line.
hoop jumping yes lots of it. taking pictures all hi-vissed up with hard hats on a stage in a lap dancing club made me look like a male stripper and the manager thought i had lost the plot :D

That's fair enough Phil, i can now understand how an old hand can prove competence in the various area's, in those short periods of time, that didn't make much sense to me on the surface of things ...lol!!!

Has anyone done their NVQ 2356 with XS Training??? Any reviews/opinions on what they are like???

I have just completed my nvq level 3 (2356) with xs training, i have to say they were brilliant so helpful , informative any queries i had were often immediately answered by phone, text or email, my personnel tutor was stuart driver . I cant recommend him enough , he was brilliant nothing was to much trouble, even when he was unwell he was still willing to help me. I would most definately recommend xs training.

I have just completed my nvq level 3 (2356) with xs training, i have to say they were brilliant so helpful , informative any queries i had were often immediately answered by phone, text or email, my personnel tutor was stuart driver . I cant recommend him enough , he was brilliant nothing was to much trouble, even when he was unwell he was still willing to help me. I would most definately recommend xs training.

Hi Pete68, Thanks for the great feedback, really appreciated. Time to get your JIB Gold Card now :)

Regards

Stuart

I'm about to do this, but wasn't too sure when they sent me the payment methods... Paypal seems to be the only way they except it, is this normal? Many thanks.

Hi mate

when done via paypal your money is safe and the system sets it up as 6 equal payments and will be taken on the same day each month

I have done my NVQ with Xs and no probs from payment until completion

everyone wants everything yesterday, or thinks, you can get experience in the blink of an eye. ....Unfortunately the real world just doesn't work that way!!!

You're telling me! & I'm not everyone!...Retraining began in 2007 at age of 34, 3 years Nightschool C&G 2330. Walked away from OK Print Trade Money to get the site experience & it's been bumpy as hell ever since! Am now PAYE in another line of work, as Sparks wasn't paying me a continuity of living...am about to sign for the NVQ before the date (better late than never) and see if I can find a South West Contractor to jump in with...I don't mind putting in the time at all, just disgruntled that I can't seem to convince an employer that as an adult WILLING to learn & work at it for a break.

^i'm in the same boat..completed my 2330 level 2 and 3 earlier this year..looking to sign up with xs training for the nvq before the cut off but im worried that im gonna have to chase work to complete it,and may not get a chance to complete it due to the lack of work around..

does anyone know what happens after the cut off for the nvq with regards to doing it? ie do you have to start college all over again..

does anyone know what happens after the cut off for the nvq with regards to doing it? ie do you have to start college all over again..

As long as you register for the 2356 before the cut off date you will have up to 3 years to complete it. If you do not register, you will have to complete the NVQ 2357 which will cost alot more than the current NVQ 2356 and will also involve mandatory AM2 and you will have to compare the qualifications that you have at the moment and make up the "shortfall" for the 2357 technical certificate. For example, if you have 2330 level 2 & 3, you will have to do the NVQ, AM2 and then go to college to complete environmental technology unit.

Best advice is get on the 2356 before the final registration and save a packet.

My only concern with chasing qualifications that are going to be fazed out, is that would I be missing out on updated qualifications that employers would then look to? I know they change & change often as there are obviously guys on here with qualies far older than mine, yet just a wonder if, even at a financial cost I should hold out & do the revised 2357 & AM2 + anything else that may supersede the 2356 and keep the qualies up to date. I estimate it could take 12 Months at least to do my NVQ as I don't as yet have the scope of work. I did also think it was 2 years you have to complete it not 3?

My only concern with chasing qualifications that are going to be fazed out, is that would
I be missing out on updated qualifications
that employers would then look to? I know they change & change often as there are obviously guys on here with qualies far older than mine, yet just a wonder if, even at a financial cost I should hold out & do the revised 2357 & AM2 + anything else that may supersede the 2356 and keep the qualies up to date. I estimate it could take 12 Months at least to do my NVQ as I don't as yet have the scope of work. I did also think it was 2 years you have to complete it not 3?

what you don't know claret, is how well the new qual's will be received by the industry. by all accounts, the part c course is still considered superior to the qualifications that superceded it and i have a feeling that the 2391 will also be remembered in much the same way.

the 2357 has only been with us for a couple of weeks and it's already getting potted. if you keep holding out for the newest, shiniest qualification, you'll never get qualified.

Just sent them a message for a call back, im not quite sure how it works though, im currently on the 2330 night course and will have finished level 2 next month, im not currently working in the electrical industry but in my current job as maintenence operative I do work with electrics and along side the contractors we use so hopefully this will be enough to get me on the nvq.

They will be able to advise you better on what the criteria is

Its a lot of effort but worth it in the end and you can cover each of the 8 units 1 at a time or all at once and have to be done 3 times roughly Ie 3 major site diaries
but these as I say can be broken down into the individual units 301-308
as I did then its easier to organise and complete
If for example you were carrying out a rewire this would cover a large amount of the criteria
Ie PVC/PVC cables (T/E) and single Pvc Ie 10mm main protective bonding
accessories such as socket outlets , switches is another Key critical
working on LV
ELV if you fit an alarm or similar
then you would need one more like multiphase
3 out of 6 you need

It would take me to long to explain all the criteria for the POs ( Personal Objectives) and the KCs ( Key criticals)
But once you have covered then its completed for the whole of the NVQ
you could do a small lighting job using trunking or conduit and that would cover a fair bit it seems a lot when you start but once you start completeing and uploading evidence Ie pics with you doing the work then the assesor looks at it and once he is happy passes it onto the Internal verifier and when he is happy with each unit is complete he will send it to the External verifier and thats it once you have 100% in all 8 units its done

good luck

Spoke to david, he seems like a really decent bloke, how do you go about giving the evidence? Is it a case of taking pictures of your work getring photos taken of me doing the work and as for video surely ya cant record a full installation lol?

Hello everyone i saw that xs training still have spaces for the nvq 2356 is this legit? because im very interested in doing the course.

Reply to RE: XS Training in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net