Discuss Refrigerated lorry hook up points in the Electricians' Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Has anyone got any experience of wiring these? I have been asked to wire up 6 hook up points for Thermo King refrigerated container lorries. They have a start up current of 70A and full load current of 17A. There is an existing 3 phase distribution board with one 3 phase way left on it. I was hoping to use this spare way to feed a seperate consumer unit for the 6 container circuits. The cable run is about 50m and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

RCD protection may not be required but I personally would fit it. The trailer cables can get in a bit of a state, wagon drivers aren’t noted for being delicate.

that was one of the regular jobs at depot we maintained "Check trailer leads faulty" should have read"Check trailer leads run over driven away without unplugging and generaly abused !" the leads we used were made up of SY Cable and withstood a fair bit but deffo fit RCDsS either in db or rcd commando sockets

Silly question, but do the lorries require single phase or 3 phase power (220V or 415V) ?

I would also agree with the fitting of RCD/RCBO type sockets. Classing your drivers as "trained personell" and training them in the proper use of the sockets / plugs would also mean that you can get away with 100mA RCDs which may eliminate nuisance tripping found on 30mA RCDs with startup currents. My reasoning being that a wagon is "portable equipment" that could be expected to be towed away with the plug still attached !

Reply to Refrigerated lorry hook up points in the Electricians' Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net