Currently reading:
Reinstating / making good

Discuss Reinstating / making good in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

in the statement of works I have from my electrician, it says:
"Re-instatement of damaged areas: all areas of the house where it is necessary to cut wall chases and sink boxes etc will be restored to a condition suitable for redecoration."

I did not thoroughly define what this means prior to the work starting, and we are now approaching the end.

I wanted to find out what condition would you all believe to be a reasonable way to leave the damaged areas to capture the spirit of that quote? Bonding plaster only, or finishing plaster? If he just leaves bonding plaster, should I push for finishing plaster? I can't decorate directly on top of bonding plaster, would need finishing plaster or filler first, so my thinking was that it should be up to a paintable standard, but I might be expecting too much.

many thanks!

Last edited:
Watched a TV program there a bloke went to hospital with an old TV value stuck up there..... Apparently he said he was fixing the TV and sat down on it....

always did wonder where that missing PL509 went.

s-l300.jpg

Watched a TV program there a bloke went to hospital with an old TV value stuck up there..... Apparently he said he was fixing the TV and sat down on it....
I worked with a guy who decide to drill one of those square office fittings on his lap the drill slipped and he damaged his John Thomas.......

I don't believe that you lot are that pedantic regarding switch and socket screws for one moment which position do you screw them to?
I do insist on them, for a couple of reasons other than it just looking better. Horizontal rather than vertical FWIW.
1) Only make them horizontal when levelling them. This way we know what's been levelled.
2) In the event of a call back, I know if the plates have been removed as no one else will have bothered to keep them horizontal.

School mate's Dad was a Coroner and told us kids of a pepper grinder removed post mortem. It was inscribed "A present from Derek". A generous bloke that Derek.

Thanks all, here's a pic that's a good example of how the finishing looks of the rough bonding plaster. Chasing and box surroundings are all similar to that level of finish.

If you include make good, what would you do regarding the holes left by old back-boxes? That is, where you move sockets (e.g. bringing up to 450mm from floor), would you remove the old back box and fill the hole with plaster, or does that not come under making good? Technically nothing damaged there so I can see that it wouldn't be covered.
View attachment 40505
To be perfectly honest with you, you could quite easily finish that off yourself. Just smooth it down and a drill and sand paper and then plaster you buy already mixed and "Voila" you have a nice finished wall.

I think it comes down to definition of decorating....
Some think decorating is just painting, but to be fair a decent dec will always fill, sand and prep etc.
If he'd said he'd leave walls ready for painting its obviously not good enough...but a decorator wouldnt take long to scrape back and run over with some filler.

Reply to Reinstating / making good in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock