Discuss Removing fused switches in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

So i displaced all the face plates this afternoon to have a look at what was going on an this is how everything is hooked up....
it seems that different switches/fuses etc take a feed off something else an so on

upload_2018-2-4_21-23-33.png

This beyond my knowledge so ill be getting an electrician in to do this one for me as advised

For goodness sake,its a Kitchen:confused:
I find it incredible,proposing to make a mess of what may be a sound installation,all for the sake of reducing the amount of accessories in what after all is a food workstation:eek:

mind you ill avoid this fella as i don't reckon he'd be up for it ;)

p.s ignore the ground symbol up near the extractor cable

Last edited:
upload_2018-2-4_21-43-38.png

1. i wanted if possible to get rid of the FCU at the right hand side, but keep the under cabinet single socket that it currently switches on off and change it to a switched socket.

2.again if possible, combine the fuse and switch for the extractor (2nd and 3rd in from the left respectively) into an FCU. If not possible just have a manual switch for the extractor and do away with the additional fused face plate.

3. space everything out nicely, level everything and re-tile, tiling over any redundant face plates rather than having surface mounted blank plates

I would need to see a bigger overview. Did you say you did not want switched fused spurs for appliances just single switched sockets either behind appliances or adjacent units.where is the fan is it directly above.

serval
Here is my apology for the abrupt opinion I gave in my post,sorry for not understanding exactly what you were attempting to modify,my post did not recognise your specific problem
In my defence the usual reasons for people coming on here and getting rid of "unsightly switches" (in a kitchen) it has nothing to do with function,it is almost always aesthetic

Function is disregarded as a nuisance to the point that a kitchen loses its primary purpose in the name of vanity

I assumed incorrectly that was your motive (for some reason that type tends to annoy me)but having viewed your picture I fully understand why you want to modify that eyesore that should never have existed in the first instance

You seem to have ring legs coming in at left hd and at right hd accessories
You could change outer accessories to double sockets and fit a switched fused spur in the centre for switching the extractor

The under worktop supplies can then be straight forward spurs off the double sockets

All you need do is rip out the existing loops and wire your own f cable from the double sockets to the centre switched fused spur

Did you say you did not want switched fused spurs for appliances just single switched sockets.

Yes that's correct... definitely in the case of the 3rd SFCU (1st in from right hand side)
possibly also for the 2nd SFCU in from the right aswell.

where is the fan is it directly above.
yes the fan is directly above the switch

In addition the 1st SFCU (far left) is directly above the socket in the
cupboard

2nd and 3rd SFCU's are NOT directly above their respective sockets. The sockets are in an adjacent cupboard and would not be obscured by an appliance

serval
Here is my apology for the abrupt opinion I gave in my post,sorry for not understanding exactly what you were attempting to modify,my post did not recognise your specific problem
In my defence the usual reasons for people coming on here and getting rid of "unsightly switches" (in a kitchen) it has nothing to do with function,it is almost always aesthetic

Function is disregarded as a nuisance to the point that a kitchen loses its primary purpose in the name of vanity

I assumed incorrectly that was your motive (for some reason that type tends to annoy me)but having viewed your picture I fully understand why you want to modify that eyesore that should never have existed in the first instance

No worries Des. will post up some pictures in future post as that always helps to clear up any potential for misunderstandings

No worries Des. will post up some pictures in future post as that always helps to clear up any potential for misunderstandings

As I said in my last sentence in post #9. (ok the spelling is crud... must have been having a bad day..:tearsofjoy:)
Glad you did post a pic as that does look a mess.

Reply to Removing fused switches in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net