Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Replacement cable for a 240v circular saw in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. knnelg

knnelg EF Member

Hi,
    I have a (very) old Black & decker circular saw that is still going strong. However the power cable is well past its best and needs replacing.

The current cable is constructed with 2 cores (Looks like 1.5mm) and a combination of hessian string and finer threads all woven together, and wrapped in a PVC sheath of 8mm diameter.

I'm looking for a replacement, but can't seem to find any cable with the above construction. Anyone know of a supplier (to the public)?

Failing that, I'll probably consider a rubber sheathed cable, but cant seem to find a suitably rated one with an 8mm diameter (to go through the cable gland on the saw).

Any help, greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Glenn

2. Spoon

Spoon Forum Mentor

We would need to know the power rating of the saw before suggesting a size of cable mate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. PEG

PEG Respected Member

Hi,firstly,if it is originally a 2 core...it's not that old;) try googling HO7RN-F,which would be the modern replacement,dependant on power.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. knnelg

knnelg EF Member

PEG...
    Well, It is certainly over 20 years old, and I'm pretty sure it's heading towards 30. But I am old, so my memory may be playing tricks. :)

The device is a hand-held portable saw with a 5A rating. (see Google Image Result for https://www.picclickimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/56cAAOSwVCRZchW-/$/BLACK-and-DECKER-7308-Type-2-7-1-4-_1.jpg - https://goo.gl/images/92rPZK)

Thanks for the info. It does look like HO7RN is the one to go for. It's larger diameter than the original cable but maybe I can open out the cable gland/support to take the extra mm or so, assuming I can find a supplier to sell a quantity smaller than a drum.

Once again, many thanks for the pointer.

Regards,

Glenn

5. Shoei

Shoei Regular EF Member

6. spinlondon

spinlondon Forum Mentor

I purchased a refurbished ELU belt sander from one of the Black & Decker repair shops, before they shut them all down.
    The cable they used is a length of that orange garden tool flex.
    If you look on line, you may be able to purchase a new cable support shroud.

7. knnelg

knnelg EF Member

Just to bring closure to this query. I obtained some H07RN-F cable, and with a little reaming of the cable gland/support and a little silicone grease, it did the job just fine.

Many thanks for the pointers.

Regards,

Glenn

• Like Like x 1