Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss replacing a set of light switches in the stair way with PIR switches in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Kaveh

Kaveh New EF Member

Business Name:
    N/A
    Hi,

Does anyone know i its possible to replace a set of light switches in a stairway that all control the same lights with a set of PIR switches?
    The current rocker switches have L1, L2 and COM but the PIR switch I am looging to replace them with only have L1 and L2.

Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

current-Rocker.jpg

PIR-Replacment.jpg

2. littlespark

littlespark Electrician's Arms

I don't think it can be done this way. Your PIR is a simple one way switch - on or off...
    The switch you are replacing is a 2 way... ie, the Com(mon) switches over between L1 and L2

There may be a way of doing this with "Smart" devices.... but employing the services of a local spark will be your best course of action.

This is the same as another recent post concerning stairwell PIR's.
    Same street?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    what he says ^^^^^. might be possible with some rejigging of wiring. insult a local spark.

4. Dillb

Dillb Electrician's Arms

You wanting to swap from normal switches to PIRs?

Looking at the new switch it has a limits of maximum switching capacity, how many of what sort of light will they be switching?

5. Matthewd29

Matthewd29 Regular EF Member

You need a 2 way pir but be careful not to get one which requires a neutral

6. Dillb

Dillb Electrician's Arms

A what? Just wire them in parallel.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. Matthewd29

Matthewd29 Regular EF Member

Its been a long day let that one slide

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dillb

Dillb Electrician's Arms

Haha we all have those moments.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. GeorgeCooke

GeorgeCooke Regular EF Member

You could leave the existing switches there and connect the PIR across the strappers.

10. Kaveh

Kaveh New EF Member

Business Name:
    N/A
    Thanks All for your replies, I think I'll get an electrician, thought it be a simple swap out, @Dillb@Dillb , yes, I want to swap from normal switches to PIRs they'll be switching five 28W D5 fluorescent bulbs.

11. Deuce

Deuce Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    Aquatic Impact Ltd
    At work as a simple work around we fitted lights that have an inbuilt PIR sensor in the WCs. We left the original switches in place, although of course they're more or less pointless now.

We didn't even set out to do it that way, we just found a light fitting with the internal PIR when we went out to buy another standard one. It's been a useful upgrade for sure though.

12. Spoon

Spoon Forum Mentor

Any change of a link to said fitting please.

13. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    Dunno Spoon but there may be a chance if you look hard enough.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Deuce

Deuce Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    Aquatic Impact Ltd
    Without digging through invoices I think it's this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01HF1A2K4/ref=psdcmw_10709331_t2_B01HS5R4ZI

Although I see there are quite a few all roughly the same design, 360 degree pir in the centre and leds around the centre.

Another way to do it (if you want a specific light fitting) would be to use a smart bulb controlled remotely via a smarthome WiFi pir.

15. GeorgeCooke

GeorgeCooke Regular EF Member

How much power does the PIR take 24/7? Maybe 3 watts. When only switching a smallish load such as 16 watts there is little saving over leaving the light on for the 8 hour day. That is before taking into account the initial cost and installation charges.