Discuss Replacing Consumer Unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

How come as its a rented property, you can change the CU but cant remove a light fitting? If a lamp 'blows' is it the responsibility of the LL to replace it?
Only 4 circuits yet there is an oven connected, without local isolation?
You clearly do not understand the theory behind testing R1+R2! R2 is most important test result to confirm continuity of the cpc.

Fitzy
I think you have opened a can of worms, the fact that you are newly qualified shows. The NICEIC are not going to happy with this job as a assessment for your suitability to be in the NICEIC.
If I were you I would look for another job to take them to, as you have broken all the rules with this effort.
The property in my opinion needs a rewire, the installation is a 1970’s install with alterations by who knows.
Put the visit off and have a rethink!

Fitzy
I think you have opened a can of worms, the fact that you are newly qualified shows. The NICEIC are not going to happy with this job as a assessment for your suitability to be in the NICEIC.
If I were you I would look for another job to take them to, as you have broken all the rules with this effort.
The property in my opinion needs a rewire, the installation is a 1970’s install with alterations by who knows.
Put the visit off and have a rethink!

Please explain “you’ve broken all the rules with this effort?”

How come as its a rented property, you can change the CU but cant remove a light fitting? If a lamp 'blows' is it the responsibility of the LL to replace it?
Only 4 circuits yet there is an oven connected, without local isolation?
You clearly do not understand the theory behind testing R1+R2! R2 is most important test result to confirm continuity of the cpc.

The landlord gave me permission to change the fuseboard and I didn’t say I couldn’t remove the light fittings, the oven is plugged in to a double socket behind the oven. After the assessment (fail or pass) I will instal a switched FCU next to the plug the oven & Extractor hood is spurred from to provide a means isolation. Yes, I do understand the theory of the R1+R2 test.

If it passes IR & Zs tests and there are no C1 or 2s, why shouldn't he do a CU change?

The IR test was a pass at >999MOhms and Zs tests are all within range.

Just one query though.....Is it best practice to measure Zs on lighting circuits or calculate the value using Zs= Ze + R1+R2?

I can either for my test results sheet.

If it passes IR & Zs tests and there are no C1 or 2s, why shouldn't he do a CU change?

Just one query though.....Is it best practice to measure Zs on lighting circuits or calculate the value using Zs= Ze + R1+R2?

I used to record Zs results. Best practice, dunno? :)

During my training my tutors said it was ok to use the calculated values, but if possible I’d rather measure it.

1st and biggest issue is not completing a EICR Before you stated.
A consumer unit change can be done if the original board is in distress. You are able to connect the installation back as is without modification ( if code 1 free).
The catalogue of problems you have listed in this thread after the work leads me to believe your inexperience in doing such work has you struggling to fix the issues
Zs readings prove that the fuse or breaker will operate under fault conditions - IT DOES MOT PROVE COMPLIANCE WITH THE OTHER PAGES ON THE BOOK. Installation methods, accessibility of connections, access to switches to isolate for maintenance etc. This comes with experience over time. EICR are to prove the installation is safe for continued use NOT just to check Zs

1st and biggest issue is not completing a EICR Before you stated.
A consumer unit change can be done if the original board is in distress. You are able to connect the installation back as is without modification ( if code 1 free).
The catalogue of problems you have listed in this thread after the work leads me to believe your inexperience in doing such work has you struggling to fix the issues
Zs readings prove that the fuse or breaker will operate under fault conditions - IT DOES MOT PROVE COMPLIANCE WITH THE OTHER PAGES ON THE BOOK. Installation methods, accessibility of connections, access to switches to isolate for maintenance etc. This comes with experience over time. EICR are to prove the installation is safe for continued use NOT just to check Zs

If it had been a customers board change I may have done an EICR beforehand, but at present an EICR is NOT a reg or compulsory before changing a cu, so it’s up to the electricians discretion if one is carried out or not!

There are timed served electricians on this very forum that haven’t carried out an EICR before a customers board change (mainly because customers won’t pay for one), but they’ve STILL carried out the board change and found plenty of faults afterwards which the customers won’t pay to rectify, but as has been said on here before, the electrician changing the board is responsible for the board change only and NOT the entire installation (barring any C1 codes).

I’m learning, so fixing the issues which arose from my own board change is a way to learn without inconveniencing or charging a customer a fortune for the privilege. I’ve learnt plenty from doing this board change and have thoroughly enjoyed the learning experience.

I appreciate your comments though. ;) ;) ;)

but as has been said on here before, the electrician changing the board is responsible for the board change only and NOT the entire installation

Not So! The electrician 'is' responsible for making sure the existing circuits are safe to re-energise when a CU is changed.
The fact that say, just because an existing ring is open circuit before the board is changed doesn't make it right to reconnect it onto a new 32A MCB.
Final circuits should be inspected (as much as physically possible) and tested 'Prior' to re-terminating to ensure they are safe to re-energise.

Fitzy,

You sound like you’re doing a great job mate, got your head screwed on regarding most of what you are saying, and asking questions is the key.

As much as a customer may not want to pay for an eicr, DefyG is correct in what he’s saying with regards to the responsibility YOU take upon issuing the EIC once you have completed the work.

I always make sure that I carry out a Ze, IPF, IR and ring test, as well as checking the main bonding when I turn up to quote the job.

I then advise the customer of anything that may affect me issuing the EIC upon completion and get them to agree to the works.

If you know what you’re taking about and can speak to people, then I find the customer always has the additional work done, and are happy for the info....

Reply to Replacing Consumer Unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net