Discuss Replacing single pendant light with up to 6 pendants from same connection in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tophertronic

As the above says, I'm looking for some advice in replacing a single pendant light in the middle of the ceiling in my kitchen with up to 6 separate lights fitted with long cables extending from the same connection.

Kitchen is currently fitted with a single pendant lamp in the centre of the ceiling, and access above the kitchen (living room) is not good. It's a new build house, so the floor above if large sheets of plywood, and to make things worse the joists run lengthways, meaning to extend to opposite sides of the kitchen would mean laying the replacement cabling across a dozen joists each way.

So that's too much effort, and time consuming (or expensive and disruptive if I get a proper sparky in).

My wife likes those vintage / retro lights that are purely for show and we'd like to do something similar to this in the kitchen.
Essentially this would mean having 3 lengths of cabling dropping from the ceiling and hanging across to one end of the kitchen over a table, and hanging in the same place. Then another 3 lengths of cabling would drop and hang the opposite end, and be spread across the kitchen worktop so the light would shine onto the work surfaces (where it's completely shrouded in shadow at the moment due to the light being way behind you.

So, I'm just looking at advice really. Would this be possible. At the moment the single pendant can take up to 100W bulb and we're using energy savers. Because the new lights would actually be sited where you need the light to be, I don't expect they'll be more than 40W equivalent energy savers. But could the single cable that extends to above the ceiling be separated out to 6 (probably 7 actually given there would still be the centre bulb) 40W pendants?
Would I need anything special for the cabling to cope with this?

Any recommendations on what risks I'd be running, or if it's completely impossible without a qualified electrician or running different cabling would be great.

thanks folks

Mod's this needs putting in the Diy section where the op can get some proper advice.

There's ways of getting cables to place that u prob don't know. That's why us "proper sparks" do things right

How many lights do you have on the same fuse as the kitchen light?

This will be an easy job for an electrician to sort out, if you give us your location, then maybe a member will be nearby and offer to quote for the work. this would give you a clearly picture of the task.

Reply to Replacing single pendant light with up to 6 pendants from same connection in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net