Discuss Replacing supply to garage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A rewire of a full installation or a single circuit is notifiable

SO to clarify, as i need to disconnect my existing 2.5mm cable, so that the ground work can proceed tomorrow. The route that the cable will now need to take is longer so I would need to replace the cable so that power can be restored to garage. I can lay conduit, if the cable reached the CU I can reconnect but if I have to replace the cable for a longer length I cannot connect as I need to notify??? that seems mad.

SO to clarify, as i need to disconnect my existing 2.5mm cable, so that the ground work can proceed tomorrow. The route that the cable will now need to take is longer so I would need to replace the cable so that power can be restored to garage. I can lay conduit, if the cable reached the CU I can reconnect but if I have to replace the cable for a longer length I cannot connect as I need to notify??? that seems mad.
I think you'd be mad if you reconnected that cable.;)

Anyway, if you're re routing a cable in such a manner, you're rewiring.

I think you'd be mad if you reconnected that cable.;)

Thats what I'm trying to clarify. The advise given so far has been very helpful in that I am going to get an electrician to carry out the full rewire later this year, which was always going to be the case.
The issue that is causing me confusion is replacing the power to the garage. I outlined the issue on my original post and thought straight away of replacing the old 2.5mm with 6mm SWA. I was advised to get someone in to do this( reading the posts there has not been a clear answer around Part P compliance requirement) but as i need to crack on tomorrow in removing the old power cable, I will instal a conduit but anticipate I will be about 1m short to reconnect the old cable.
So my position is If I replace the cable with either twin and earth or 6 mm SWA is this Part P notification.

I do not wish to pay out for the connection that is not part P when a full rewire will be undertaken later. If it is the case that replacing the power cable is Part P I will have to think of other alternatives to get power to garage when required until the rewire.

Its the Part P issue that is confusing me.

Good advise from others, although I sense they are getting a bit aspirated.

Have a read of this doc; specifically pages 6-10;
Electrical safety: Approved Document P - GOV.UK - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/electrical-safety-approved-document-p, before you dig your trench

On a Compliance Certificate (Notification doc to LBC), there's a tick box for 'Partial rewire and/or Rewire of all circuits'. Your 'rewiring' your garage supply (its a new circuit), therefore its notifiable.

As others have suggested, install some ducting with a pull rope. If cost isn't prohibitive, I'd install two. The ducting, which eventually will have electric cable in it, so it should be installed in a certain way (at certain depths, coverings & markers). I would make contact with your future electrician, seek his/hers advice on how to install said ducting, or even get it done by him now.

Edit; some further guidance;
TLC Electrical Supplies - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/7.13.3.htm

Hi - possibly some confusion in that compliance with Part P of the Building Regulations is different from wiring compliance with BS7671. Both are necessary. In your case - replacing the cable - it sounds like no special actions are required by Part P, but the installation must still comply with BS7671.
Edit - oops, just read @Midwest post - so notification is required.

Not sure how far you have got with this, but why not get back in touch with your electrician. He can tell you what he wants to see regarding ducting and SWA install, and perhaps pop round and inspect the trench, and then pull in the cable with you and make the connections. This is only a couple of hours work and then it will all be safe and tested. The electrician can the notify LABC, possibly even once the rewire is complete as one entire job, if its in the not too distant future. Im not sure if there are limits on timescales of an ongoing job.

Reply to Replacing supply to garage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net