Discuss Resistor across L-N in an adapter box. Possible or asking for trouble? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gurnatronics

-
Trainee
Reaction score
If I place say an 80 Ω resistor across L-N, would that generate a load of approx 2.8A.

I’m looking to create an artificial load of a socket circuit so I can locate the current at the DB using a clamp meter.

Used to use plug in 3kW heaters but not an option anymore, also definitely not able to isolate the power to test.

Thanks in advanced!! :)

If you want to put a load on a circuit... you can still buy 2kW fan heaters... what's wrong with them? Or a kettle?

Or as @grumpyjohn01 suggests, a circuit locator? Although it's not a precise science as the signal injected into the circuit will appear on others and at the board it can be a bit hit and miss.

If you want to put a load on a circuit... you can still buy 2kW fan heaters... what's wrong with them? Or a kettle?

Or as @grumpyjohn01 suggests, a circuit locator? Although it's not a precise science as the signal injected into the circuit will appear on others and at the board it can be a bit hit and miss.
Agreed, not an exact science but if you persist you can usually track the right one down. If you don't know which circuit a socket is on you may also not know if there are existing loads as well so in that case putting a known load on may not be an exact science either!

Forgive me if I sound stupid, but isn’t power dissipation a side effect of lower efficiency… ie heat losses?

Sort of, yes. It's got a very close relationship with voltage and curre t though.

Reply to Resistor across L-N in an adapter box. Possible or asking for trouble? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net