Discuss return of the widowmaker in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

reading the description, only the earth pins are connected. it's designed to get the earth bond connection from the appliance to your PAT tester without clipping to the appliance casing. so. how is it possible to test if the casing itself is earthed? waste of space.

The price makes me laugheven if the fact it is dangerous does not, 6.99 and 4 quid odd delivery for 2 50 pence plug tops and 8" flex lol, there are some suckers about, what a farce.

The price makes me laugheven if the fact it is dangerous does not, 6.99 and 4 quid odd delivery for 2 50 pence plug tops and 8" flex lol, there are some suckers about, what a farce.
thats it with a lot of these adaptors if the user is that thick they can't make their own for a fraction of the cost,should they be pat testing.

Oh howayman!!

The gadgee needs some money for cutting the flex, stripping the ends, taking the tops of the plugs screwing the flex into the terminal(s) and not forgetting the cord grips, putting the tops back on then taking them off again cos he's forgotten to put the fuses in .......

It's all time and money!!

reading the description, only the earth pins are connected. it's designed to get the earth bond connection from the appliance to your PAT tester without clipping to the appliance casing. so. how is it possible to test if the casing itself is earthed? waste of space.
no.

its designed so that an adjacent socket outlet can be used to provide a return for the earth bonding test...without having to power down & disconnect the appliance under test...

and yep...only the earth pin is connected....as i`v made a TIP lead up myself...

Can't see where the danger is with this -

but agree only a d***head would pay for it.
there's always the danger someone will make one with all 3 pins connected.more importantly when you look at what it's designed to do,how the hell can just checking an earth bond be classed as proper test and inspection?what happened to unplugging an item to check plug has correct fuse and is wired correctly,may as well just do a drive by and bung a sticker on!

there's always the danger someone will make one with all 3 pins connected.more importantly when you look at what it's designed to do,how the hell can just checking an earth bond be classed as proper test and inspection?what happened to unplugging an item to check plug has correct fuse and is wired correctly,may as well just do a drive by and bung a sticker on!

Yes, fully agree on the sticker brigade point, but I assume (I have not done much PAT) that you can competently test and include any limitations in a PAT report?

Perhaps a manufactured lead with insulated L&N pins would be more appropriate to stop someone modifying it.

Also I am not sure how PAT testers are internally wired (isolating transformer?) but would this testing method perhaps trip circuit RCDs?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, fully agree on the sticker brigade point, but I assume (I have not done much PAT) that you can competently test and include any limitations in a PAT report?

Perhaps a manufactured lead with insulated L&N pins would be more appropriate to stop someone modifying it.

Also I am not sure how PAT testers are internally wired (isolating transformer?) but would this testing method perhaps trip circuit RCDs?
well I've seen it done,but it depends upon the type of test.

Assuming the customer doesn't want you to disconnect the equipment (server or whatever) -

Using this test lead method - If the PA tester sources its test currents directly from its own plug then you will go from hero to zero the moment you press the test button! lol

I'd Fail it for having the cardboard labels on the plugs!

(If memory serves correctly, they're supposed to be removed.
It's been a while since I did any appliance testing, Thank God!)

Reply to return of the widowmaker in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net