Search the forum,

Discuss Rewire using covings and skirtings? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Morning everyone
Is it possible to do a domestic rewire by running cables inside skirting voids or behind covings and then chasing up/down? 😬. I have a furnished flat with floors that I could do with protecting as much as possible. I could do without them being cut/lifted as much as normal. What do you reckon?
Thank you and merry Christmas!!!
PS not touching this myself, just trying to choose my finishes etc and wondering whether to check out covings/skirtings for costing. Have real electricians coming to quote in Jan. 👍🏼

Generally speaking skirting = no, coving = yes, due to prescribed cable zones. That is a simplification of the regs, your electrician can explain further.
(Do a google image search for "cable zones" )

I really don't like cables run behind skirting boards , if you are in a real pinch you could run a cable behind a skirting as a last resort but as for a whole rewire NO WAY

Behind decorative coving / molding then I don't see an issue as such if you cap your new cable to the walls at high level then cove over them. Not how I would do it but it isn't a terrible option

I did wonder if it worked as an alternative form of trunking because in my various years as an adult, I’ve never once felt the need to hammer into or cut into a skirting or a coving.. walls however, all the time! It seemed a logical suggestion to me but I don’t want to deliberately cut corners (ho ho!). Just trying to find a practical way of delivering a job!

Skirting trunking would be deemed containment like any other form of trunking. Lashing it behind existing skirting boards is totally different.

Reply to Rewire using covings and skirtings? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock