Discuss Rewires - what age do you suggest it and is there an age you condemn at ? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

BrianDB9

I'm tending to favour an approach of time to start smelling the coffee at 30 and start saving / planning and rewire at first convenient oppurtunity but don't let domestic wiring get over 40 (for management purposes)
I realise that you can test and still say wiring is "ok" for a lot longer than that and other factors kick in eg sparse provision of sockets leading to overloading etc just wondered what the general feeling was ?

If it's wired in PVC,it's still in good condition,circuits are correctly installed and all circuits have cpc's why rewire?.....I work in plenty of properties with imperial wiring 40 years old which will probably go on for another 40 with the usual updates to circuit protection etc.
Only time I would automatically condemn is rubber/vir or lead.....there arent many of those left now thankfully......oh and pre-70's lighting circuits with no cpc's unless there is no likelyhood of class 1 fittings.

This is a joke thread isn't it? Maybe we should suggest a rewire instead of respecting. Change the stickers from next inspection date to rewire due date. Should a 1920 Rolls Royce be taken off the road because it doesn't have ABS, satnav or air bags?

One problem with older installations is there is often not enough points/in the wrong place.

I recently rewired a ring final cct on a 25/30 year old installation just because there wasn't much difference in price between adding extra sockets to the existing, and carrying out a rewire.

I worked for a local authority who deem 30 years as the end of an installations life. I didn't always agree with it, but it was their policy.

One problem with older installations is there is often not enough points/in the wrong place.

I recently rewired a ring final cct on a 25/30 year old installation just because there wasn't much difference in price between adding extra sockets to the existing, and carrying out a rewire.

I worked for a local authority who deem 30 years as the end of an installations life. I didn't always agree with it, but it was their policy.
The 30 year figure is based on a job that comprises of conduit and VIR cable that could be easly rewired without much disruption as it was felt that the cabled would dry out and break down now its down to the environment the cable is run in and at the end of the day it down to testing if its fine then it is servicable

The 30 year figure is based on a job that comprises of conduit and VIR cable that could be easly rewired without much disruption as it was felt that the cabled would dry out and break down now its down to the environment the cable is run in and at the end of the day it down to testing if its fine then it is servicable

Agree, ...the only thing i would add is ''Inspection'' & Testing'', the inspection for obvious reasons...

Just to add this theory was based on a Government building I know this because I served my time on the government term contract with Mathew Halls and we had the job in the late 70,s early 80,s to rewire a lot of building mostly in conduit or micc

Reply to Rewires - what age do you suggest it and is there an age you condemn at ? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net