Discuss Ring circuit question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Its all very well adding a note on a CU .............. but with how much detail?

So many CU's are not labelled or very poorly labelled.

Safe isolation is the key

And its not unusual in a kitchen to have 4 or more circuits.............
Sorry Murdoch i am not understanding your reply!!

Are you saying it would be ok too have too different ring circuits supplying the room, as long as the consumer unit is clearly marked?

I appreciate there would be a separate circuit for the cooker and lighting etc.

I would supply a circuit diagram of all the sockets in room color coded to which ring circuit they belong too.

He is sayin there is no problem having more than one circuit serving the sockets in the kitchen.
There is an issue of safe isolation where a circuit is denoted as “kitchen sockets” when there are multiple circuits serving the area.
You have to ask yourself what the purpose is for having a separate circuit for the kitchen. If it is to provide load relief because there are high currents bring anticipated then a new circuit may be needed (I would pull out the old ones and have all the kitchen sockets on one circuit).
Otherwise, just extend the existing circuit.

@Neil73 please please: there are several ways of typing some words. You seem to use “too” for everything, and it makes difficult reading!
If you aren’t sure the difference between too, to and two, could you help by using the figure “2” when you mean a quantity in between one and three?
Thank you.

@Neil73 please please: there are several ways of typing some words. You seem to use “too” for everything, and it makes difficult reading!
If you aren’t sure the difference between too, to and two, could you help by using the figure “2” when you mean a quantity in between one and three?
Thank you.

You're being a bit picky; you wanna pull buzzlighyear, don't understand half of wot he says.

Sorry Murdoch i am not understanding your reply!!

Are you saying it would be ok too have too different ring circuits supplying the room, as long as the consumer unit is clearly marked?

I appreciate there would be a separate circuit for the cooker and lighting etc.

I would supply a circuit diagram of all the sockets in room color coded to which ring circuit they belong too.

As others have said, no probs with more than one socket circuit in your kitchen.

However, its your house, have it how you want it. And if you moving or re-locating sockets etc, I would do as you're suggesting, and isolate existing RFC from kitchen, and add new kitchen circuit for sockets.

I would suspect a ordinary person would not expect to find sockets on different circuits in one room, and not having been trained in safe isolation, its not unlikely to cause them problems.

apostrophe.jpg

He is sayin there is no problem having more than one circuit serving the sockets in the kitchen.
There is an issue of safe isolation where a circuit is denoted as “kitchen sockets” when there are multiple circuits serving the area.
You have to ask yourself what the purpose is for having a separate circuit for the kitchen. If it is to provide load relief because there are high currents bring anticipated then a new circuit may be needed (I would pull out the old ones and have all the kitchen sockets on one circuit).
Otherwise, just extend the existing circuit.

Thank you.

Thanks for the correction Taylor, let's just say that being as the reply was at 23:10 last night it was a typo, rather than not knowing the difference between "to, too and two"

Thanks for all the replies, most have been useful and informative.
As the work is on my house and not a paying customer, I have decided to see if I can remove those existing sockets in the Kitchen if I can and put a single ring circuit in there. However I have a small budget so I am not prepared to rip down the ceiling or anything that extreme. Worst case scenario is that I will have mixture of sockets in the room from the two different ring circuits, and I will produce a laminate drawing detailing the arrangement and leave it next to the consumer unit for future reference.

Oh and lastly any work I carryout will be tested and signed off by a Part P registered electrician, or building inspector.

thanks

Reply to Ring circuit question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net