Currently reading:
Ring door bell wite connected issue

Discuss Ring door bell wite connected issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hope you're all well .

I've had ring door bell 2nd generation hardwired for 1.5 yrs... it was connected to transformer which is connected to the MCB.

All of a sudden the Ring DB stopped working. It was suggested at rhe transformer needed changing. So I bought a new one.

I checked the cable coming from the MCB with my martindale VT28 2 poll tester. It shows 230V. This connects to the transformer supply .

However when I go to the wire that is supposed to connect to the ring DB from the transformer .. its just flashes RX . I don't know what that means... that happens with both transformers. Old and new.

The Ring DB requires 8-24V AC transformer. The one I bought does provide this.

I'm scratching my hair out here.

What can it be ? Lol

I can't use a plug transformer because the socket is so far away for from the Ring DB.

So I need to stick to the transformer coming from the CU.

Thank you all for any advice.

Certainly looks like it. Could you borrow a multimeter to measure the ac voltage at the Ring end, before and after the doorbell is connected?

Would this multimeter do? Also shall I just put in on V setting?

Attachments

• Snapchat-952652955.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Would this multimeter do? Also shall I just put in on V setting?
Yes that will do the job - presuming there is a battery in it and it's working Ok!
Turn the rotary knob one click to the V setting as you say, then press the select button until the AC wiggly line shows up, as per the instructions for AC volts (below)
With the transformer connected to power and the bell wires, check what is across the wires at the ring doorbell, I suggest measuring with and without the Ring connected - you should get pretty well the same voltage.
Good luck!

IMG_0446.jpeg

Reply to Ring door bell wite connected issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock