Discuss Ring door bell wite connected issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hope you're all well .

I've had ring door bell 2nd generation hardwired for 1.5 yrs... it was connected to transformer which is connected to the MCB.

All of a sudden the Ring DB stopped working. It was suggested at rhe transformer needed changing. So I bought a new one.

I checked the cable coming from the MCB with my martindale VT28 2 poll tester. It shows 230V. This connects to the transformer supply .

However when I go to the wire that is supposed to connect to the ring DB from the transformer .. its just flashes RX . I don't know what that means... that happens with both transformers. Old and new.

The Ring DB requires 8-24V AC transformer. The one I bought does provide this.

I'm scratching my hair out here.

What can it be ? Lol

I can't use a plug transformer because the socket is so far away for from the Ring DB.

So I need to stick to the transformer coming from the CU.

Thank you all for any advice.

The RX light means there is continuity (eg a low resistance) being measured.
That would make sense because the transformer has a low resistance secondary winding.
(I imagine you are measuring between the output terminals of the transformer)

But the LCD should be displaying the voltage out of the transformer, which you should also be able to measure across the doorbell wires. You don't mention there is a voltage coming out of the transformer, only that there is a voltage on the primary side.
If you disconnect the doorbell, is there a voltage across the wires?

(I'd be using a multimeter at this stage)

The RX light means there is continuity (eg a low resistance) being measured.
That would make sense because the transformer has a low resistance secondary winding.
(I imagine you are measuring between the output terminals of the transformer)

But the LCD should be displaying the voltage out of the transformer, which you should also be able to measure across the doorbell wires. You don't mention there is a voltage coming out of the transformer, only that there is a voltage on the primary side.
If you disconnect the doorbell, is there a voltage across the wires?

(I'd be using a multimeter at this stage)

So yes the 230v is showing from the primary side. Ie the cable that is coming from the MCB to the transformer.

Another 2 wires are coming from the transformer going all the way to the ring Db.
That wire is just displaying RX ... no voltage. Even if I disconnect it from RIng DB. That wire just has RX.

I have megger bm223. I've not really used it. What should be the next steps I should do ?

Your Megger BM223 is an insulation resistance tester, basically an ohmmeter. It does not measure voltage.

You don't mention what voltage tap you are using on your transformer.
The Ring Pro requires 16V to 24V, which should show up on your VT28.

You need a multimeter set on ac voltage to measure the voltage across the doorbell wires at the door, I suspect that voltage is not enough for some reason, or maybe the wires are shorted together? . Or do you have a Ring model that actually requires 16V and the new transformer is not giving that much?

PS Given your VT28 is (apparently) showing the resistance of the transformer winding at the doorbell wires, it may be that the Ring doorbell is actually faulty, but you need to make sure the supply voltage is what is required for your model before condemning it!

Last edited:
Apparently you can charge the battery in a Ring doorbell 2nd gen, by plugging the supplied usb lead in the back of the doorbell, and the other end into a powered usb socket.
Can you try that to prove the doorbell works?

What voltage taps are you using on your new transformer, or if it's a fixed voltage output, what voltage is it supposed to be? It sounds like it must be less than 12V if your VT28 tester is only showing rx.

Apparently you can charge the battery in a Ring doorbell 2nd gen, by plugging the supplied usb lead in the back of the doorbell, and the other end into a powered usb socket.
Can you try that to prove the doorbell works?

What voltage taps are you using on your new transformer, or if it's a fixed voltage output, what voltage is it supposed to be? It sounds like it must be less than 12V if your VT28 tester is only showing rx.

Sorry I should have been more clear.

The transformer I bought goes up to 24V . Its called the BG bell transformer from screwfix .. that's the one I had before too which has been working for a year. I've bought the same one again.

Ywah the ring bell works.. because you can take the battery out and charge it with the USB. But only lasts a week or so. I even replaced the battery hoping for a longer lasting battery. It also only lasted a week. Maybe its because of my settings as it captures everything that moves as apposed to closer things only.

My ringdoor bell requires 8-24V transformer according to manufacturer instructions.

Your Megger BM223 is an insulation resistance tester, basically an ohmmeter. It does not measure voltage.

You don't mention what voltage tap you are using on your transformer.
The Ring Pro requires 16V to 24V, which should show up on your VT28.

You need a multimeter set on ac voltage to measure the voltage across the doorbell wires at the door, I suspect that voltage is not enough for some reason, or maybe the wires are shorted together? . Or do you have a Ring model that actually requires 16V and the new transformer is not giving that much?

PS Given your VT28 is (apparently) showing the resistance of the transformer winding at the doorbell wires, it may be that the Ring doorbell is actually faulty, but you need to make sure the supply voltage is what is required for your model before condemning it!

Hi mate the transformer is 8 to 24vac. It's BG Bell transformer that you can buy from screwfix. Same one worked before

A quick UPDATE.....

I've gone bought a Ring Plug in Transformer which connects to the socket. My VT28 shows it definitely is giving out 24V!

HOWEVER when i connected it to the Ring Doorbell . The doorbell still doesn't work!. I used my VT28 to check on the Ring probes. It flashed the Electrical shock icon on the VT28!.

So I guess the problem is with the Ring Pro.

However the thing I find strange is that the other 24v transformer I connected to the MCB. Just showed only a small resistance when wired up. Which leads me to believe the wire itself could be dodgy now. It recieving 230v from the MCB.

Ywah the ring bell works.. because you can take the battery out and charge it with the USB. But only lasts a week or so

HOWEVER when i connected it to the Ring Doorbell . The doorbell still doesn't work!.

I am so confused!

When it doesn't work, as you describe above, are you using the fixed wiring in the house to the doorbell?
If so, perhaps try hooking up the Screwfix transformer to the Ring just with short lengths of wire, to see if it works when not using the house wiring.

You could try disconnecting both wires from the Screwfix bell transformer, and both wires that go to the Ring bell push, and use your Megger BM223 to check the pair of bell wires is not short circuit!

PS have you got a Ring chime in this arrangement, in the circuit between the transformer and Ring doorbell?

I am so confused!

When it doesn't work, as you describe above, are you using the fixed wiring in the house to the doorbell?
If so, perhaps try hooking up the Screwfix transformer to the Ring just with short lengths of wire, to see if it works when not using the house wiring.

You could try disconnecting both wires from the Screwfix bell transformer, and both wires that go to the Ring bell push, and use your Megger BM223 to check the pair of bell wires is not short circuit!

PS have you got a Ring chime in this arrangement, in the circuit between the transformer and Ring doorbell?

Hi

What I mean the Ring bell can be used with battery alone. It does work with that. I have to take rhe battery out to charge it overnight. Then put it it back in the Ring bell next day it works for a week. Then repeat in charging it.

But when hard wired it doesn't work. So that means the hardwiring component doesn't work.

What settings shall I put the the Megger bm223 to do the test on? So I'll leave the wire connected to the bell. But take it out rhe transformer and use it from there ?

What settings shall I put the the Megger bm223 to do the test on? So I'll leave the wire connected to the bell. But take it out rhe transformer and use it from there ?
Just to say do NOT leave the Ring connected at all if you are going to use the BM223. My though was to use the Megger with everything disconnected (both ends) to prove the wiring wasn't short circuit - which is a possibility!

There are some other suggestions here now.

PS But new information - you have a bell in the circuit🤔? could this be contributing to the problem?

Just to say do NOT leave the Ring connected at all if you are going to use the BM223. My though was to use the Megger with everything disconnected (both ends) to prove the wiring wasn't short circuit - which is a possibility!

There are some other suggestions here now.

PS But new information - you have a bell in the circuit🤔? could this be contributing to the problem?

Hi mate

I checked continuity with 500v. It gave the reading. >999.. so defoo no short circuits. Does this mean the wires are good?

The bell isn't in the circuit. ..the wire from the transformer is going straight to the ring door bell. ...this has a seperate chime which connects via WiFi I believe and powder bulk a plug

Hi mate

I checked continuity with 500v. It gave the reading. >999.. so defoo no short circuits. Does this mean the wires are good?
It means they are not shorted together, and they are properly insulated - that's good to know.
What we don't know is whether there is a break in the wires. I think it's unlikely 'cos your VT28 showed rx at that end.
You might try doing the Megger test again, shorting together the wires at one end at the Ring end and measuring the resistance between the wires at the transformer end (disconnected from the transformer). It should be zero ohms.
The bell isn't in the circuit. ..the wire from the transformer is going straight to the ring door bell. ...this has a seperate chime which connects via WiFi I believe and powder bulk a plug
OK that's good to know, thanks.

It means they are not shorted together, and they are properly insulated - that's good to know.
What we don't know is whether there is a break in the wires. I think it's unlikely 'cos your VT28 showed rx at that end.
You might try doing the Megger test again, shorting together the wires at one end at the Ring end and measuring the resistance between the wires at the transformer end (disconnected from the transformer). It should be zero ohms.

OK that's good to know, thanks.

Yes I just did that it was zero ohms. Looks like the wires must be OK after all.

Reply to Ring door bell wite connected issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net