Discuss Rogue Traders in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Oh aye .... improving all the time.

I bought mesel' a MFT last week, and a Readers' Digest book about Domestic Wiring last month.

I remember being given an AA book of home improvement and DIY when I was a kid, from a neighbour who "thought I would like it". It had loads of stuff regarding how to carry out house wiring. Now it's the superstores which tell joe public how to change a CU.

I remember being given an AA book of home improvement and DIY when I was young. It had loads of stuff regarding how to carry out house wiring. Now it's the superstores which tell joe public how to change a CU.

I Know!!

It's an absolute disgrace putting us cowboys out of work.

It makes me glad to be retired.

IMG_0301.jpg

Took this about 3 weeks ago,, original fault rcd tripping.

Totally agree. I've known people be refused planning permission due to roofing tiles being the wrong shade, yet those panels are allowed???
actually, if a neighbour complained, Permitted Development rights could be revoked, and an enforcement notice issued as the rights do come with the responsibility to mitigate the impact on the visual / amenity value of the local area as far as reasonably practicable... or something like that.

Not that the companies that did those abominations will know that or give a ----.

Haha at that toonlad, no wonder it was tripping the RCD. What sort of fruitcake thinks something like that is acceptable - how can they not realise that as soon as you fasten that back the likley hood of the exposed live conductor touching the earth is 1/9999999999.

Cheers Geordie, Class ehh. ring main was at the side, both cables at the bottom were spurs. one did the porch socket and lights the other, linked back into an old back boiler spur and accross the room to spur 2 sockets in the conservatory. Basically bare connections arcing accross and it was one of those flat plate sockets, so everything gets squashed. the face plate was bending under the strain.

On the subject of practicing yes it took me 5 weeks, 2 more than most, so im a bit more experianced now.

Last edited:
Cheers Geordie, Class ehh. ring main was at the side, both cables at the bottom were spurs. one did the porch socket and lights the other, linked back into an old back boiler spur and accross the room to spur 2 sockets in the conservatory. Basically bare connections arcing accross and it was one of those flat plate sockets, so everything gets squashed. the face plate was bending under the strain.

On the subject of practicing yes it took me 5 weeks, 2 more than most, so im a bit more experianced now.

Good lad - keep it up.

Another fortnight at that rate and you'll be awarded the Silver Spurs. :)

This is maybe a nasty thing to say - but im glad its just not us domestic/comercial sparks that see the DIY monstrositys and you solar lads get it aswell :p
we do our fair share of bonding gas and water coz the last spark / kitchen fitter couldn't be arsed, sorting out the lack of an earth at all coz the water company has replaced the mains pipes with plastic and not thought it necessary to tell any of the houses that were relying on those pipes for earthing (which is a good proportion of Leeds houses IME) etc. I love the ones where the spark has run the earth bonding cable to the location of the sink / boiler left it for the kitchen fitter / gas boys to fit to the pipe when the install their kit, but they obviously thought bonding worked well enough as long as the cable was within site of the pipe it was bonding to, no need to actually clamp it to the pipe or anything.

We just also get the job of sorting out the roofers bodges as well.... then with the solar water heating side we sometimes have the joy of fixing the mess a swimming pool installer / bodger had made of a £100k pool... and that british gas had made of fitting a boiler 15 years ago with the sodding heating pump pumping the wrong way round the circuit causing the boiler to cycle hot/col/hot/cold like it was on the menopause... and the customer to wonder why their systems was rubbish and cost them a fortune......... right old can of worms that one.

keeps us on our toes though eh.

we do our fair share of bonding gas and water coz the last spark / kitchen fitter couldn't be arsed, sorting out the lack of an earth at all coz the water company has replaced the mains pipes with plastic and not thought it necessary to tell any of the houses that were relying on those pipes for earthing (which is a good proportion of Leeds houses IME) etc. I love the ones where the spark has run the earth bonding cable to the location of the sink / boiler left it for the kitchen fitter / gas boys to fit to the pipe when the install their kit, but they obviously thought bonding worked well enough as long as the cable was within site of the pipe it was bonding to, no need to actually clamp it to the pipe or anything.

We just also get the job of sorting out the roofers bodges as well.... then with the solar water heating side we sometimes have the joy of fixing the mess a swimming pool installer / bodger had made of a £100k pool... and that british gas had made of fitting a boiler 15 years ago with the sodding heating pump pumping the wrong way round the circuit causing the boiler to cycle hot/col/hot/cold like it was on the menopause... and the customer to wonder why their systems was rubbish and cost them a fortune......... right old can of worms that one.

keeps us on our toes though eh.

Oh aye ............ there's nowt worse than being stuck with an old boiler on the menopause. :38:

BillyNoRoof.JPG

I've driven past this beauty a few times and had to find it on Street View so that I could post it here.

The panels protrude past the ridge by at least 100mm and the bottom clearly passes the gutter. The forces exerted on the roof in heavy winds must be utterly immense - particularly as this is in a very high wind area.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sedgy has driven past this a few times.

IMAG0438_zps7e96c182.jpgIMAG0439_zps80fe4617.jpgBritish Gas had been in a few days earlier fitting a new gas meter and installing this new feed.This customer asked me for a quote for a board change, I suggested she got BG back!!

View attachment 18462

I've driven past this beauty a few times and had to find it on Street View so that I could post it here.

The panels protrude past the ridge by at least 100mm and the bottom clearly passes the gutter. The forces exerted on the roof in heavy winds must be utterly immense - particularly as this is in a very high wind area.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sedgy has driven past this a few times.

Looks like a good idea to me ..... it stops the leaves from getting in & blocking the gutter.

Reply to Rogue Traders in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net