Discuss Rotary Isulator in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mark22

Hi All

Just a quick question.

I am replacing a 4 pole rotary isolator on single phase.

The current isloator has bridges between the 3 Live poles.

Is this necessary or just best practise.

thanks
Mark

Can you not just replace it with a single phase iso? It would be cheaper, failing that no I wouldn't bridge the 3 poles, it would be pointless and would not be considered good practice

Can you not just replace it with a single phase iso? It would be cheaper, failing that no I wouldn't bridge the 3 poles, it would be pointless and would not be considered good practice

Be careful of your wording ... when you state is not considered good practice this would infer its bad practice unless you state it is not, linking the spare poles is not bad practice either and under certain loads it would be considered good practice to utilise the spare poles albeit not a requirement. Highly inductive loads come to mind where you actively triple breaking action of a switch which can reduce switch arcing and mains transients.

Be careful of your wording ... when you state is not considered good practice this would infer its bad practice unless you state it is not, linking the spare poles is not bad practice either and under certain loads it would be considered good practice to utilise the spare poles albeit not a requirement. Highly inductive loads come to mind where you actively triple breaking action of a switch which can reduce switch arcing and mains transients.

when I has helping some guys witg solar panels they did this and explained it for just this reason on dc.

I could kinda understand it if they grouped the poles in two's because the redundancy or load-spreading argument would at least be plausible. I'd avoid doing it personally because any gain it might give you would be cancelled out by the fact that there's double the possibility one of the contacts could stick in the closed position.

Reply to Rotary Isulator in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net