Discuss Rotary phase converters in the Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

armbands0

Hi, I was asked today by a potential customer about installing one of the boost energy range of phase converters.

Is there anyone out there with any knowledge of these devices?

Cheers

It is for a 3 phase wood turning machine, looks like the boost energy device has a TP&N socket to connect to, seems straightforward.

The spec. recommends cable size and protective device.

Was curious to know of any potential pitfalls

For use with a wood turning lathe a variable frequency drive (vfd) might be a better choice as you can vary the speed. Downside is a vfd can only be used with one machine at once.

A suitable sized rotary can power more than one machine at once, for example the lathe plus a three phase grinder for sharpening tools.

If it is for industrial use then there is a requirement for brakes (often electrical) on some woodworking machinery, not sure if that applies to lathes though.

Steve.

Normal three phase wiring techniques can be used to connect the machines, or it can be as simple as putting the different machines on flex and plugging them in to the converter as required. The only thing to be aware of is that the generated leg (l2 usually i think) should not be used in the control circuitry (contactors etc), as it is not generally as stable as the other two phases.

Steve.

Reply to Rotary phase converters in the Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi Guys, We have a CNC router which uses single phase for the spindle, stepper motors and control box. This is all wired in and working...
Replies
Views
Absolutely losing my brain here guys What I would like to be able to do is power our 3 phase motor on a single phase supply. Thought I had it...
Replies
Views
I have a small mechanics shop in a rural area with no access to 3 phase. I picked up a air compressor cheap and knowing at a min. I will need a...
Replies
Views
Hi we have been asked to run a 3 phase supply into a boiler house to feed a DB fed from next to the existing meter. Would we need to install Tails...
Replies
Views
hi guys / girls , any advice would be appreciated, So the situation is a domestic property has a 3 phase supply , from the service head we have 3...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock