Discuss roughly what year did they start Earthing lighting circuits? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

hard to be sure, there are some stranded tinned T&Es about installed in the 60s, that doesn't mean twins without cpcs were still not installed though, one key to finding out is the colours of 3 cores, if they were red, blue and white or red, blue and yellow, the yellow was early 70s onwards, white definitely 60s, I would suspect your installation is at least 40 years old, could be 50

I have worked on 60's installations that are twin with no cpc, twin with cpc, and twin with cpc that has been close cropped at every point.
Not much help I know, but I suspect cpcs were sometimes used even back when they were not required making installs difficult to date.
Being a relative youngster I wouldnt know when the regs changed to make lighting cpcs compulsory....some of the old buggers on here might though :p

Any lighting circuit run in metal conduit, and you'll be talking almost from year dot!! lol!! But that would have been seen mostly in larger commercial and industrial installations. As for lighting sized T&E cables, the inclusion of a CPC started around 63, and was a standard requirement long before the end of the 60's.

couple of years ago, we rewired a 1926 house. ripped out the original wiring which was all twin with lead sheath. all lighting points were earthed with the lead clamped into galv. steel JBs.

Agree with the above(s), tended to be the cheaper contactors that's only used twin and skin, better domestic installs had CPC's right from the start of pvc, I tested one the other day 1962 and it had cpc, admittedly twisted together above all fittings ;-)

Agree with above comments. Can anyone remember a period in time when many domestic properties were wired in pvc singles!
The single lives were looped from switch to switch and the neutrals were looped from light to light. An absolute pain in the neck if a new complete light point with switch was required. The existing light points would only have a switch wire and neutrals. All had earths though.

Agree with above comments. Can anyone remember a period in time when many domestic properties were wired in pvc singles!
The single lives were looped from switch to switch and the neutrals were looped from light to light. An absolute pain in the neck if a new complete light point with switch was required. The existing light points would only have a switch wire and neutrals. All had earths though.

Have seen that to in flats circa 1980

Sounds like a normal conduit wiring system to me...........

We started installing cables with cpc in 1963 just before the 14th Edition Wiring Regs.
Before that we just ran a Earthing cable to each lighting point.
On Commercial & Industrial Installations we used the conduit as the Earth

Agree with the above(s), tended to be the cheaper contactors that's only used twin and skin, better domestic installs had CPC's right from the start of pvc, I tested one the other day 1962 and it had cpc, admittedly twisted together above all fittings ;-)
Been on job today house built 1963 wired exactly as you say in singles permanent live we're red sheathed singles and sw lives were grey sheathed, with a green earth ran around all points, although these were terminated into fittings apart from when some muppet changed the fittings at a later date and left one of the two earths in the ceiling, resulting in most of the circuit having no earth.

Some councils insisted that their council houses were rewired that way, the live was wired using 6241Y and the neutral was 6181Y. It was cited as a safety thing that tenants who swapped fittings couldn't get a shock

House bashing in 1972 single sheathed cables with a cpc was the norm, or it was in my area, no clips just wrap the singles around the roof woodwork, o dear very dodgy, but that was what it was like in those days

Reply to roughly what year did they start Earthing lighting circuits? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net