Discuss rubber or PVC sheath allowed? And cables with unusual rating types ??? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Heres 2 examples - one indoor and one outdoor.
1. Indoor we have a junction box, out from the j-box comes a 3 core cable [hot, neutral, and ground]
to feed a pendant light hanging from a chain 3' below. Does it matter to the 17th edition if we use
PVC sheathed cable [for ex.m, HO5-V V] or rubber sheathed cable [for ex., HO5-RN or HO5-VN]?
2. Outdoor, we have a pole light with a j-box about 3-feet above ground. The wire comes from the j-box, out the top of the pole, and feeds the light fixture on a strut about 1' from the center of the top of the pole.
Does it matter to the 17th edition if we use PVC sheathed cable [for ex.m, HO5-V V] or rubber sheathed cable [for ex., HO5-RN or HO5-VN]?
3. Do you sometimes use wire NOT rated so-called "harmonized types" like HO5 or HO7,
but instead rated like - for ex., YV V or NYY or NYM or NV V or ....
Are wires rated like that acceptable on most 17th ed jobs?

Reply to rubber or PVC sheath allowed? And cables with unusual rating types ??? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hello there, I’m in the process of mapping out a relatively standard S-plan system for my parents central heating and hot water system. Not sure...
Replies
Views
Beware a little long. I served an electrical apprenticeship a long time ago, then went back to full time education immediately moving away from...
Replies
Views
I recently bought a solar panel that I will attach to the roof of my van. It's a flat flexible solar panel and a 3 m cable is already attached to...
Replies
Views
When I joined this forum a decade or so back, there was a discussion going on about a welder that was connected with a 3-core cable to L1, L2 and...
Replies
Views
At my new lake house, I'm planning to rebuild an unattached shed and make it a Shed/Bunkhouse combo. The current wiring to the existing shed...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock