Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss Rusty on cable calcs in the Commercial Electrical Talk area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. fattony

fattony Regular EF Member

Hi

I’m a little bit rusty on cable calcs it’s not something I’m involved with that often for various reasons, ie promodantly do fire alarms and the small works we do are incredibly small and we tend to install 4mm to be safe.

I remember seeing on here a formula which calculate the maximum length of run you could install a cable carrying a certain current

At the moment I don’t have the design current but what I do know is

1) Confirm current Ze
    2) work out design current
    3) confirm current supply is capable of supplying old and new circuits
    4) Apply correction factor
    5) Select the cable
    6) Confirm volt drop
    7) using resistivity calculate R1 + R2
    8) Calculate Zs from info above

I’m cautious because from the bus bar chamber to the new DB is approx 150m, this is proposed to be a 160A supply

From this DB a further 20m will be a 63A supply protected by a Type D mcb, my concern is getting the cable selection right (and not go over the top) to ensure the Zs at the end of the 63A supply is low enough to comply

Could anyone offer advice on the formula?

Thanks

2. Spoon

Spoon Trusted Advisor

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. fattony

fattony Regular EF Member

Pretty handy, thanks